Tuesday, June 17, 2014

What dSLR camera and lens to buy?




Nakkiel


I am just starting out with photography as a hobby, so I am not really sure what I need. I do need a dSLR camera for a class I will be taking, but am not sure what features/lenses I really need, whether extra expenses are worth it for a beginner, etc.

Cameras I am considering:
Nikon D3100
Canon EOS Rebel T2i
Nikon D5100
Canon EOS 60D

Which brand would you suggest and why? Obviously the top 2 are much cheaper, so is the more expensive of each worth it for a beginner? Also are the kit lenses good enough or would I be better off getting just body and a separate lens? And what size (Or zoom range) lens should I be using? (Canon offers size choices of kit lens. If separate what are some good lens choices?)

I know this is a lot of questions in one, but any advice would help.
Ty for the advice. Especially on sensor size, but the D7k is way out of my price range. My budget is only around 800. Maybe up to 1k if the upgrades are really worth it. Obviously if I don't actually need the features for any good reason I would prefer to pay less though.

Nikon D5100 w/ lens kit is only $50 over my budget, but if getting body only with ~ a $200 lens ($100 more than kit lens) would be worth it for whatever reason I am willing to do that. I really don't know what size lens I need to start out though, and aperture (The listed f/#) just completely confuses me. Would it be bad to get a lens that list a single f/# rather than a range, or is it just listing the maximum? And what aperture should I get?



Answer
Of the four, the Nikon D5100 provides the best sensor performance, however since you included the Canon 60D, you will want to look at the Nikon D7000 which competes directly with it.

Here is how the sensors of the Nikon D7000, Canon 06D and Nikon D5100 compare.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/698%7C0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/680%7C0/(brand2)/Nikon/(appareil3)/663%7C0/(brand3)/Canon

The reason you may want to consider the Nikon D7000 has to do with the increased number of Nikkor lenses available for your use. You can use the older, less expensive Nikkor AF lenses with the D7000

The "lens kits" are to get the new photographer started, learning how to use a fully adjustable camera with the least expense.

In reality, which camera you buy will be up to your total budget you have set aside for your camera "system"

Here is a link to the number of available Nikon lenses and what the angle of view of each of them.

.http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Camera-Lenses/All-Lenses/index.page

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/

Camera Lens Question?




Kevin Halo


Does this lens

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Tamron-75300mm-F-4056-AF-LD-Lens-For-Canon-/99752097?_refkw=Tamron+75-300mm+F%2F4.0-5.6+AF+LD&_pcatid=783&_pcategid=3323&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_dmpt=Camera_Lenses

fit into this camera

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3i-18-0-MP-DSLR-Camera-Black-Body-Only-/110938377096?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item19d4714b88#ht_3776wt_1037

????



Answer
It is usually better to buy a better lens and lessor camera.

Why?

You will be upgrading your camera every four or five years.

Each lens you buy you only want to buy one time

I suggest you buy a nice Canon T3/1100D with a Canon EF 70-300 mm lens (NOT the Canon 75-300 mm lens)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment