Monday, February 24, 2014

Going to Disney World? DSLR?




Marie


For my 15th birthday I got a nice DSLR camera. I've had it for about a year and this will be my first Disney trip that I have my Nikon. I've been to Disney World two other times and just had a simple point and shoot.
Now that I have this nice camera do you recommend taking it into Disney World? We'll be going to all the parks and even Universal. I still have a P&S that I was going to take, but I just wanted some opinions.



Answer
It depends on how comfortable you are with carrying your dslr with you the entire trip. When we went to Disney World a couple of summers ago, I would have missed so many great images if I'd just brought my p&s camera. I was able to capture the lighting from the parades, as well as the light shows over the lakes. Rides that zoomed by were frozen, and not seen as blurs. With my zoom lens, I was able to zoom back for great wide angle views, as well as zoom in to capture the tops of castles or pirateships. When we went on rides where we might get wet (or drenched in the Florida rainstorms) I either kept my camera in it's case, inside an oversized ziplock bag, or used an inexpensive rain sleeve, available at most camera shops.

Funny thing is, even though others will look at you for taking pictures while they're just enjoying the parks, those will be the first ones who want copies!

If you have more than one lens, practice changing lenses quickly, as you don't want dust to get to your sensor. Practice taking shots in low-light, as that's where some of the best shots are. Bring an extra battery and extra memory cards, as you don't want to run out of space before the trip is over. Finally, take more shots than you want to keep, because for every "eyes were closed" or "something/someone got cut off" shot, you'll have a keeper.

I am looking to buy a nice camera for things like still shots and what not.. what kind would be the best?




dannimylov


cost does't matter, but it should be some what reasonable!


Answer
I bought Canon Powershot SX10IS and took it to Disney World where I had a chance to try out all the features in all kinds of conditions. This is one step down from the DSLR cameras where I don't have to change lenses and it takes great pictures. Overall I am impressed with it and I feel it was worth every dollar I spent on it. However, this is a must: READ THE MANUAL AND LEARN THE FEATURES IF YOU WANT TO GET THE MOST OUT OF THIS CAMERA! Here are some pros & cons :

Pros:
1. Clear pictures at full zoom as well as super macro mode even when the camera lens is so close it touches the object.
2. Many features to adjust for different light conditions (learn the features and make adjustments)
3. Takes good pictures in low light or almost no light conditions even without the flash (again, learn the features & make adjustments for it) but at very low light conditions I recommend putting the camera on a tripod or have very steady hands.
4. Records clear movies with stereo sound & zoom. .mov format can be played with QuickTime Player on Windows XP with no problems.
5. Flash power can be adjusted to how far you want it to reach so the background doesn't get washed out.
6. Swivel LCD for multi angle viewing.
7. The colors come out beautiful.
8. Wide angle lens. You can fit more in your pictures.
9. Batteries last a long time. I use rechargable Eneloop AA batteries.

Cons:
1. It's a heavy camera with the 4 batteries in it, even when it's hanging around my neck.
2. It's a rather bulky camera for a woman. Women have smaller hands and sometimes it's hard to get a good grip on it.
3. The lens cap. There is no string attachment for it! It has a piece of plastic on the back of the cap to attach it to the camera strap but it doesn't work. It doesn't clip on strong enough so the cap falls off anyway.
4. The Fireworks feature is useless especially when there is another lit object around the fireworks (expl: Magic Kingdom castle with fireworks around it). The camera asks me to make adjustments (which it shouldn't since it's a set feature), but no matter how I tried to adjust it, it didn't work. Instead, I used the Sports feature and that worked just fine. All other features work well.

So overall I give it 5 stars for the money spent but I can't stress enough that this camera will only do the tricks if the adjustments are made for it. It also takes great point-and-shoot pictures but if that's what you are planning on using it for most of the time, I recommend buying a less expensive camera. This is my 4th Canon camera and I find them to be excellent and very durable.

Canon Powershot SX10IS
Basic detail
10.0-megapixel resolution for high-quality printing and flexibility when editing
20x optical zoom, wide-angle lens and Optical Image Stabilizer; improved speed and quiet zooming
2.5-inch Vari-angle LCD; DIGIC 4 Image Processor improves Face Detection
MovieSnap mode lets you capture high-resolution still images while shooting a movie
Capture images to SD/SDHC memory cards
Price: $369.95 free shipping
reference: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powershot-SX10IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B001G5ZTZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1244353029&sr=1-3&tag=commentglitte-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment