Saturday, May 17, 2014

Best lens for indoor arena sports on a Canon 30D ?




jennsinlub


I'm trying to decide on the next lens I should buy that would work for indoor arena sport photography. I'm wanting to capture Horse shows such as Jumper and Barrel racing. Thank you
I'm trying to decide on the next lens I should buy that would work for indoor arena sport photography. I'm wanting to capture Horse shows such as Jumper and Barrel racing. Also this is a very large arena with very low lighting using flouresents. What setting would you recommend? Thank you
Also this is a very large arena with very low lighting using flouresents. What setting would you recommend? Thank you



Answer
You need the long wide aperture lens (70 - 200mm f2.8) from fotoaces suggestions.

Aperture priority is the norm for most photography, shutter priority may select a high ISO (after it has run out of larger apertures to select) which will lead to noise, if your shooting for a newspaper the resolution of newsprint means that noise isn't a problem, it is very much a problem if you're shooting for magazines.

Colour balance isn't a problem with a DSLR as you can calibrate it on site with nothing more than a piece of white paper.

Chris

which lens for indoor high school sports?




Brian


I am looking to buy a lens for shooting indoor sports at high schools. I use a Canon Rebel XTi right now and plan on buying a 50D in the near future. I am not sure if the 24-105mm f/4L is fast enough due to the lower light in the gyms and pools. I was also thinking about the 70-200mm f/2.8L (without IS). I have a 17-40mm f/4L and a 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens. I used the 70-300 at a basketball game from the stands, but I had to turn up the ISO and 70mm seemed to be too close if I wasn't in the stands. I think 70-200mm would be great for swimming though. Another option would be a 50mm f/1.4 prime which I will be ordering next week anyway. Thanks in advance for your advice. Any suggestions welcome.


Answer
I would go for the 70-200 2.8 (no IS). I guess you will have shutter speeds of around 500+ to get the action stopped. At those speeds you don't really need IS and the fstop is good. I use a 70-200mm 2.8 on a nikon D700 to shoot sports at night and i am happy with it.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment