Thursday, May 15, 2014

What DSLR should I buy?

Q. Is it better to buy a cheap DSLR and a good lens or an expensive DSLR with a cheap lens? I've decided to get a Canon camera, I want to get either Canon 1100D(with a 18-55mm, 50mm and 75-300mm lenses) or Canon 600D with only the 18-55mm lens. Which one should I buy?


Answer
Cheap body (camera) + expensive lens= F*cking amazing shots
check this out to help show you the difference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk5IMmEDWH4

Im not a canon guy so idk too mcuh about them (as far as which camera is better) but I think the difference in those too is the 600D (T3i) takes video and the 1100D (T3) does not.
but they are both apart of the Rebel Series so they are both entry level and not a significant difference in quality (maybe a little)
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-1100D-vs-Canon-600d/specs

the biggest difference is (that really matters)
the 600 has 18mp vs 12mp (but megapixels do not matter that much for quality unless you are printing really big or do a lot of hardcore editing. so 12 is more than enough to do the job.
the 600 has a ISO of one full stop (12800) vs 1100s-6400 (but anything past 1600 Maybe even 800 will be ugly and unusable)
the 600 has smaller pixel size so it can handle high ISO a little bit better.
the 600 also has a slightly bigger and more vivid LCD, and it also flips out
the 600 has a lower life battery
and longer shutter lag and slower start up time
the 600 has a slightly better color depth (more natural saturation)

so yes the 600D (T3i) is better, well no sh*t its newer (even if it is by only a month)

but like your second question... good lens or bad lens???
My professional opinion, buy the 1100D (T3) and use the extra 200bucks or whatever the diff. is and use that towards a lens... (that does NOT mean buy a $200 lens, no save up and use it towards. save like 800 and use the 200 for tax or something... Canons good lenses are the L-Series (the ones with red rings around them) Buy one of those you wont be disappointed in your image quality.

Hell honestly if your gonna be shooting things that dont move fast, so you wont need a fast FPS. I would go buy a $250-350some canon/nikon off of ebay or a pawn shop or a used camera store. and spend a good 1000+ bills one lens and some good protection.

"Bodies come and go, but lenses last forever."



Oh, and honestly those lens choices that you have are not all that good, sure it'll take the pic but the 18-55 is a basic kit lens. the 75-300 is slow, and unless the 50mm is f/1.4 or better yet the f/1.2 that is a decent lens but not the best.

Like I said go with a L-series or at least something close (you get exactly what you pay for with photography) I personally think you should get the most common and number 1 lens that every photographer has. a canon (if that is what your going with) 24-70 f/2.8. its sexy, its fast, its heavy, its sharp, and its one of the most versatile.

so good luck :)

I'm getting a DSLR camera, how should I care for it?




Maria


Well I'm getting a DSLR camera (I"m not sure which yet) but I just need to know how I clean it if it gets dusty, smudged etc. I want to take good care of it so yeah. What's the best way to do this??? THANKS!


Answer
Dust and damp are your cameras worst enemies, that includes anything you keep your camera in such as your camera bag.

Always use your lens hood particularly the rubber ones, better mechanical protection than any 'protection filter' which will increase the chances of flare and will reduce contrast and if allowed to get dirty in the trapped air between the lens and the filter can lead to front/rear focusing issues. In 50 years as a photographer I have never used a 'protection filter' and I still have all my lenses, lenses are tougher than any thin piece of glass.

To actually damage a lens coating you need two things grit and pressure, grit, even wind blown, won't do it, I've had white hot spelter from a Bessemer Converter landing on my camera and lens with no harm. Apply finger pressure to a piece of grit under a cleaning cloth and you'll scratch the coating every time.

Try not to touch the lens elements, you will leave an oily deposit that will require cleaning and dust and grit will stick to it.

Microfiber cloths are great for cleaning lens, but they must be kept scrupulously clean, I prefer to use Pec-Pads as then you get a clean one every time.

Here's a short article I wrote on cleaning lenses

http://westfield-photo.org/lens_cleaning.html

Chris




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment