Monday, February 24, 2014

How important is it to have a VR lens?




constructi


I am going to buy a Nikon D90 it comes with a 18-105 VR lens but I also want something with more zoom. I am looking at a 70-300mm But the difference in price from standard AF to AF VR is like $400. Most of the pictures I will be taking with this lens will be landscapes in the Rockys and Yellowstone so for a still focal point how important is the VR and is it really worth the money
I am for sure getting the 18-105, also I should have specified I want the zoom for the wildlife not the actual landscape



Answer
Depends on how you use it. If you are going to do a lot of long shots without a tripod, then VR is pretty important. If you use a tripod all the time, VR will not gain you much.

Not sure how familiar you are with the Nikon format for these cameras. Just keep in mind that if the 70-300mm lens is all you get, then long shots are about the only pictures that you can take. The 70mm focal length on the D90 is equivalent of a 105mm lens on a full frame camera, and will not work for portraits or similar shots. Just for the versatility, you may want to get the 18-105 lens first.

What professional camera should I buy?




Brando


I am planning a trip to yellowstone this spring. I have had my fair share of point and shoot cameras. however I would like something a little better. I want to take breathtaking photos. Recently I waited in a blind in the woods in shanandoah mountains for hours to get a shot of the wildlife and the pictures came out sub par. I want something tailored for what I want to shoot. Wild life that is. Any suggestions?


Answer
It's not just the camera but the skills of the person. If you want to take breathtaking landscape pictures you need to do some research. Definitely purchase an SLR or DSLR camera.

1. Most photographs start with the Rule of Thirds. This gives you a baseline for composition
2. Next is the time of day. Best times are early morning or late evening
3. Next is focusing where you set your focus to infinity
4. Also making sure the F-Stop is set to a good depth of field between 10 and 14.

You can also research HDR (High Dynamic Range).

My advice is to purchase a camera that can do what is called bracketing. This allows you to take a range of exposures in one shot. Necessary for HDR. But it also lets you capture sunsets at different exposures so that you can combine those pictures using software. The benefit here is that your pictures will not have blown out skies.

If you want just the basic gear. Get a DSLR camera, a 70-300m telephoto lens with a macro feature, circular polarizing, haze, and neutral density filters or a filter system, a good sturdy tripod, and a bag.

I have a Nikon D3000, but I would like to get a D5000 because it has a bracketing feature.

Also, like I said do some research online for landscape photography, rule of thirds, exposure settings, and HDR.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment