Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Best Canon Lens for Portraits?




Avery Elem


I have a Canon 450D and I need a new lens for portraits. Do you know which one is the best? I want one with a really shallow depth of field like f/1.2 through f/2.5. I want a fast one, I hate to keep people posing awkwardly while the AF takes ages to focus. And a zoom lens would be better than a fixed focal, but I don;t really mind. So, which one?


Answer
First, why are you using AF to do portraits? You can focus faster and more accurately by doing it manually.

The "best" lens is the one that gives you the results you want. What works for me, may not be the best one for you.

The lenses I use for portraits is the 50mm f/1.4, an 85mm f/1.8, and a 70-200 f/2.8L. Which one I use depends on the setup/session circumstances.

What's a good low cost portrait lens for a canon rebel xt? I'd perfer it have IS and to be a zoom.?




Mommy2MyGi





Answer
The prefect protrait lens for your camera does not have IS and does not zoom.

It is the canon 50mm f1.8 Mk2. Cheapest lens in the canon range, and optically one of the best.

No zoom, but on an APS-C sensor such as the Rebel XT gives an effective focal length of 80mm, which forces a very flattering subject to camera perspective, and also gives lovely soft background and foreground.

It is a bright lens at f1.8, so even stopped down to f2.8 combined with a mid range ISO (the XT is good up to 400 ISO) shot in RAW, you should rarely need IS. If you need to zoom, then walk backwards or forwards.

This is the best advice you will get, given the low cost dimension to the question.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment