Friday, June 20, 2014

New camera or lens?




jeepnsurf


I have a nikon D50 which is my first slr and I've been shooting with it for about a year and want to upgrade. I want to get a D80 but also want the 70-300mm vr lens...I found a website which has both brand new for about the same price...I don't know if I should go ahead and just buy the new lens for my d50 first or upgrade the camera and get the lens later


Answer
Lens first. Otherwise, instead of shooting with your D50 and it's kit lens, you'll be shooting with a D80 and a kit lens.

The strength of an SLR or DSLR is the ability to change lenses to fit the assignment, mood, or challenge.

If you've already outshot your D50, (and be honest, have you?) then move on up. It's the glass that makes all the difference.

The D50 has the same resolution as my D70. I just toured China with my D70 (my daughter used my D50). The only optic I brought for myself was my Nikon 18-200mm VR. I could have bought a D80, but I preferred getting the versatility of this great lens.

Read this (be sure to click on the link for the first David Pogue story):
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/dslr-comparison/index.htm

And his most recent followup:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

Remember, your 70-300mm VR can follow you when you upgrade.

Can I get the glass on a camera lens replaced?




lilmissboo


I want to buy an Olympus Pen F but unfortunately the glass on the lens is missing. The person is asking for practically nothing if you consider the cameras now for for £100+. So I was wondering if I could get a new glass fitted or would it be just better to get a new lens?


Answer
If the camera has been subjected to enough abuse as to 'lose' the lens what other damage is there? Steer clear. It will cost a lot more than £100.00 to repair the lens, where would they source another lens from? Only from another Olympus Pen F lens. You'll be lucky to find one with damage, but an intact front glass.

If the vendor is selling it cheap then even the Pen F body in good condition is a collectors item, with collectors condition is everything, one scratch can make the difference from £100.00 or so to less than £10.00. Cosmetic condition matters more than working condition, a lot of these cameras will never see another film.

Having said that does the meter still work? Does the film advance and shutter sound solid? If so then buy it, lenses do turn up (often in excess of £100.00 for a good specimen), bear that in mind when offering a price. I've seen mint ones, fully working with new light seals and recent service change hands for less than £200.00.

Chris




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment