Saturday, June 7, 2014

Any suggestions on 35mm SLR cameras for beginners?




Kate


My daughter is in art/photography 101 and needs a 35mm SLR. What brands or models would you recommend? Is a used camera worth it vs brand new?
Thanks for all the education! I ended up buying a used Canon EOS and kit with 3 decent lenses for her pod, and tripod for $250. So that should start her with SLR's I have already invested in several digital cameras for her. I'll buy new once this camera body wears out. Thanks again so many good answers I can't choose. Thanks to you all and let's put it up to a vote!



Answer
A used camera leaves you with a budget for lenses. In that area, I'd suggest Nikon or Canon, as they have the largest support systems and lens selections, including 3rd party lens makers.

If she's looking at film 35mm SLR's, I'd look for the Nikon FM series as it's a solid all-metal manual metering, manual focus camera. The current version is the FM-10 and it sells for under $250 with lens. The N-series camera are of lighter build, but have full automatic options.

If she's looking at digital, I'd look at a used D70 or D50. I have two D70's myself and just recently bought a D50. These two models are well constructed and will work with Nikon lenses, both current digital and film versions.

One more piece of information for you to read.
http://www.jdpower.com/electronics/ratings/digital_camera/dslr

I hope you find this helpful. Feel free to ask, if you have any other questions.

advice from a camera guru about older models?




Maizie


So right now I have a Digital SLR.

I was wanting to buy a few older cameras, just to experiment with ya know?

Do you have any recommendations, or any places where I can look for them? Any advice or opinions would be great!
The camera I have currently is a canon

I'm looking more for a camera that requires film. I'm not really looking for outstanding quality, more of something to do personally . I have no clue what type of a price range these cameras would cost. Probably nothing over 100?? I kind of want that retro feel to it:)
I tagged some photos so you can get a idea of what I'm looking for. Is my price range unreasonable? If so what can i look for at that price.


http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3005/2714448873_c05e7f70f9.jpg


http://www.flickr.com/photos/parcelpacker/2553978960/



Answer
Hi Maizie,

There are a few important pieces of information that are missing from your question ~

1) Do you want a film camera or an older digital camera?
2) Do you wish to have compatibility between lenses for your DSLR and any other camera you get?
3) What kind of budget do you have?
4) What is your objective in experimenting? (Understanding mechanics, seeing the difference between types of cameras, having an alternative to a digital image, etc.)

If you add details to your question I will stop back and add to my answer with specific suggestions.

EDIT: Of the two cameras you have indicated the most significant difference is that the Minolta SRT are older models that are completely mechanical (except for the light meter) while the Canon A1 has an electronic shutter linked to the meter. I could not find an A1 model in your price range but a predecessor model the Canon Ftb is similar to A1 but without the electronic shutter. It was a model designed to be a direct competitor with the Minolta SRT 101 & 102 models.

Here are links to a reliable on line used camera dealer's current listings of Canon & Minolta cameras in your price range, this company maintains an extensive repair facility and is one of the largest used camera dealers in the world:

Canon:
http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Manual-Focus-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-CA020000252500?r=FE#
http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Manual-Focus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-CA060104001970?r=FE

Minolta:
http://www.keh.com/camera/Minolta-Manual-Focus-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-MI02999091677E?r=FE
http://www.keh.com/camera/Minolta-Manual-Focus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-MI060105000190?r=FE

Two advantage of mechanical cameras such as these are -
One: They can be repaired fairly easily and there are many old ones around for repair services to scavenge parts from. Electronic parts are much more difficult to replace.

Two: If their light meters fail you can operate the cameras easily without batteries of any kind, using a hand held light meter. (Or use your digital camera to take test exposures).

One caveat with these cameras is that both used a 1.35 volt mercury cell to power their light meters. These cells have been banned in most of the world because of environmental concerns about the mercury content. There are a number of alternatives for dealing with that issue but that would take another whole answer. See this Q&A for more details ~

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AsvFtZqbwB0Rxs9WYI7gEwLty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20100722065703AAKlXbl

P.S. My first SLR camera was a Minolta SRT-101. The one in your picture is an SRT-101 model 1b a slightly revised model with an improved film take up mechanism easily identified because they control knob on the top of the camera to the left of the word minolta is black plastic on the earlier models and knurled silver on the model pictured.

Hope that helps. You can email me at the link on my profile if you need more help.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment