Sunday, March 9, 2014

Cleaning very dirty camera lenses?




Truth


I have two lenses, a 70-210 Tamron and a 35-135 Kiron. They are for my Nikon F3s and I haven't used them for a few years since I got my dig's. Problem is I want to give them and an F3 to a friend and I had set them aside with no caps and forgot about them. Just looked and they each have a layer of dirt on them which I have no idea how to clean. Predictably worried about scratches. If I have blown off all that can be what's the next step? Dishwasher? (kidding) Thannks


Answer
Buy a lens cleaning kit with the liquid made for camera lenses. First, use a very soft bristle brush to remove any loose dust/dirt and then wet a piece of the lens tissue and very gently wipe from the center of the lens to the edge. Repeat as necessary, using a new lens tissue each time. DO NOT put the lens cleaning solution directly on the lens.

Once the lenses are clean, suggest to your friend that they invest in a good quality UV filter for each lens. In the future all they'll have to clean is the filter.

Camera help.?




Bocadillo8


So I have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel, and in the manual, it says I have to buy a special clothe and cleaner to clean the lense.

Is there any way I can just clean it with normal household materials, so I dont have to go out and buy stuff to clean just my camera?

Thanks.



Answer
Usually, any place that sells cameras will also sell lens cleaning kits or supplies. They include soft tissues and cleaning solution. Eye glass products will work also as said above. Avoid anything not made for the purpose such as paper towels because you don't know what is in them and you could end up scratching your lens. I will get chastised for saying this but, since I am from the old school never try and clean a lens dry. Blow off dust first with a bulb blower and then use the moistened tissues. Don't spray liquid directly on lens. Also, take care to not wipe the lens with the part of the tissue you are holding as this will transfer the oil from your fingers to the lens. I know it is a bit nitpicky but if you want clean lenses it has to be done.
One tip is to use a filter on your lens at all times. A UV haze or skylight filter is good for keeping on all the time. Then you clean the filter instead of the lens and don't have to worry about scratching your more expensive lens.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment