Friday, September 6, 2013

What kind of a lens do I need to take macro photography?

best canon lens macro photography on canon eos digital rebel related images,401 to 450 - Zuoda Images
best canon lens macro photography image



sweetcandy


I like to take pictures of small thing cloes up. I recently got my first dslr and I love it. I got the canon T3. I really want to get a lens for macro shooting and would like to be a canon brand but i am not sure which one I should get. I am hoping for it not to be too expensive either.
thanks!



Answer
Make sure you get a true macro (1:1) lens. Some are branded as macro but only give 1:3 or 1:4 reproduction ratio. The longer the focal length macro you get, the bigger working distance between the lens & the subject, eg. a 50mm f2.8 macro will have a closer focusing distance than a 105mm f2.8 macro.

If you can't afford a Canon brand, Sigma make excellent 50mm and 105mm f2.8 macros. Here is a shot I did with the 50mm version;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepbluephotography/3797607919/in/set-72157607997086637

Can a 100mm macro lens be used for landscape and family portraits?




fiber


I'm thinking of buying a 100mm Canon macro lens. But I also need a lens to take some family photos of 50 or so people (either wide angle or from far away). Can I use the same 100mm macro lens for both? Any pros/cons?


Answer
A 100mm macro lens on any Canon dSLR with an APS-C format sensor (any non-professional Canon digital SLR let's say) will have a crop factor of 1.6x. That means that a 100mm lens on a Canon EOS 300D Digital Rebel (just a random example) would actually be equivalent to a 160mm lens. In general, that focal length isn't going to be very useful for wide landscape photography or photos of large groups, but it would likely take very nice portraits of 1-3 people. That focal length is often considered part of the nice ranges of portrait lenses (around 85mm-180mm).

In a word though - "Nah" - that's not a good lens for both applications that you're interested in. Even at a straight 100mm you probably won't find an experienced photographer who will bless anything over, say, 35mm on the high end (no crop factor) for landscape/large group photos. On an APC-S sensor that would be about 17mm-18mm, which is quite common on zoom lenses now.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment