Saturday, September 7, 2013

What camera should I buy? Also can someone explain the differences between Nikon and Canon?

dslr camera without lens on Canon-EOS-50D-Digital-SLR-Camera-With-28-135mm-IS-Lens.jpg
dslr camera without lens image



Kathleen E


I am a photography student and I am looking for a good intermediate dslr camera. I am familiar with the Olympus E-PL1 and I have been shooting with the Pentax K-1000 for a year now. I am at that time in my studies were I am switching from film to digital and need a more professional camera. I am looking for a good overall camera that works well in most conditions. I would like to stay in the $1000 price range or lower. I have been looking at the Nikon D7000. Any thoughts?


Answer
Of course there are differences beyond ergonomics, Canon use old sensor technology, Nikon cripple their entry level DSLR cameras (doesn't apply to the D7000), both charge extra per lens for image stabilisation, Nikon charge extra for auto focus on their entry level models.

Why not the Pentax K5? All your Pentax lenses will work as designed, all will be image stabilised as it's built into the camera, it has functions not available on the Nikon, such as Tav mode where you set the aperture and shutter speed and the camera alters the ISO, multi frame up to 7 images in one frame both with and without exposure compensation, capture in focus is another function unique to Pentax and it uses the same sensor as the Nikon D7000, but the Pentax imaging engine gets slightly more out of it.

Compared here, I'm comparing them with a full frame Canon 5D Mk11

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/676|0/%28brand%29/Pentax/%28appareil2%29/680|0/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28appareil3%29/483|0/%28brand3%29/Canon

Chris

I will say that video is very much an afterthought with Pentax (not much better with Nikon - but some), but as a stills camera it can't be beat for low noise high ISO stills within it's price range, very nearly (and I really mean very nearly) as good as my Nikon D3s which is a full frame low pixel density camera specifically designed for low noise images in low light, at 4 times the price.

Chris

Which lens should I buy for my first DSLR camera?

Q. I am going to buy my very first DSLR camera in a few months. It's probably going to be a Nikon D90 or D7000. Problem is, I absolutely have no idea about lenses! I would really appreciate it if you can help me out a bit.


Answer
Normally the standard lenses that come with the cameras are good for beginners.
My Dad brought his first DSLR a few years back and the standard lens has seen more use than both the wide-angle and telephoto lens he purchased too.
My ex also brought a D90 last year and has only ever used the standard lens, which is quite decent.

A 'Nifty-fifty' (a 50mm fixed focal lens) is often brought by beginners, you can get use to taking photographs without relying on the zoom on the lens. These can start reasonably cheaply, and go way into the hundreds for a good one with a low f. stop.

Depending on what you want to do with your camera a wide-angle lens can be useful, there are several companies that make lenses designed to fit to Nikons and Canons, and are often much cheaper than the manufacturers own lenses (though, they may not be as to such a high quality)

Telephoto zoom lenses are good if you are interested in wildlife photography, or photography in which you are going to be a long distance from the subject. However, for a decent one of these you are looking at several hundred pounds, going into the thousands if you require a top - end one.

I would suggest sticking to the basic camera lens at the beginning and see how your photographs turn out. If you realise you like taking more wide-angle shots, then perhaps try a wide-angle lens, and vice-versa for the telephoto.

There are lots of different lenses out there, so I'm sure you'll have lots of fun!!

There are also places where you can hire camera equipment, so it can sometimes to 'try before you buy'. If you borrow a lens for a weekend, and decide you don't like it, it is much cheaper than buying a new lens and then realising.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment