Sunday, June 8, 2014

Should I repair or buy new DSLR camera lens?







I bought a Nikon D70 used a while ago and recently damaged the lens. I had removed the lens from the camera (the lens was the one it came with retail) and it accidentally rolled off my desk. It fell while zoomed in and since then It wont zoom out farther than half way between 35mm and 50mm. The lens originally could go up to 70mm.

I tried it out and it works perfectly save zooming in beyond when it get stuck so I don't think any of the sensitive parts inside are broken.

I was wondering whether it would be more cost effective to buy a new lens or have the lens repaired. I know that lenses are expensive but I have heard that repairing them is just as expensive.

Please only reply if you know for sure.

Thanks.



Answer
If you were talking about a high end lens like the 14-24 mm f/2.8 lens ($1,830) that recently got dropped on a concrete slab, yes it is worth it. Same for the 24-70 mm f/2.8 ($1,800), well worth the cost of repair

Check with Nikon and see what they say. 800.NIKON-UX.

If your damaged lens is the 18-70 mm it may cost more to repair it than just buy a new one ($380) or maybe a good used one.

Sigma lens repair?




Perki88


One of my DSLRs came with a Sigma lens. The lens has a plastic mount that is crumbling away and the zoom won't open to full wide angle. Is it worth a repair and where is the best place to send it?

PS - never buy Sigma lenses
Not under warranty - I'm in USA



Answer
I doubt its worth repairing. Use it as a paperweight and begin shopping for a new lens - preferably one made by the manufacturer of your camera.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment