Saturday, June 14, 2014

Canon Rebel Xti Kit Lens Replacement?




Anna M


Hey all,
I have a Canon Xti and I've recently been on the market looking for an upgrade for the original kit lens. Came across the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Would this be a good replacement for the kit lens?
Or if not, any other suggestions?
I'm a photography student, so I wouldn't call myself a professional by all means.
And as a student you could probably guess that I'm on a very tight budget.
I'm very interested in street photography and photojournalism, if that helps distinguish a lens.
Any input will be very much appreciated.
Thanks!



Answer
the EF 50mm f/1.8 II should serve you well for the purposes you mention especially if you are good at manually zooming (moving yourself and the camera alot)

consult your teacher also

Need a recommendation on a good quality kit lens replacement?




Joshua


So i am buying a Canon t3i this week, but i would really like a good kit lens replacement. with the camera i will be mostly taking pictures of my kids, both when they're playing and for portraits. I will also be using the camera to take pictures of product for web sites and doing product video and article reviews as well as tutorial guides. i will be taking up-close and kids playing indoors the most. i will not be taking very many far-away pictures or videos. I am a beginner and would like some guidance/recommendations on lenses. i would like to stay under 1000 USD for the lenses only. thanks in advance.


Answer
The kit lens is more useful than you, or, it seems, people on here seem to think, give it enough light and it will perform well.

It's only when you want to take pictures in low light that the aperture limitation will start to show and be a problem.

A lens of similar focal lengths(s), but a wider aperture is a good place to start. The Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 is a good lens, but not so good for landscapes especially on an APS sized sensor, you may want wider, which is where the kit lens comes in. When bought with a camera the kit lens will be the cheapest most useful general purpose lens you will ever buy.

Practice with that first and see which direction your going in, Macro, Telephoto, wider aperture. Buy lenses, and any other gear for that matter, for a definite reason not just because a 'professional' on YA said that's the lens you need (and that includes me). Everybody works differently. When you find yourself saying, I wish I could get closer (Macro Lens), or I wish I could reach further (Telephoto Lens), or I wish I had less noise in these low light shots (Wider Aperture Lenses), that's the time to buy the lens. But then you know why you need the lens and you won't have to ask anybody, you've identified YOUR need.

Chris




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment