Saturday, April 5, 2014

Canon Rebel XSi or XS with what lens for sports photography?




Luke Barnh


I am absolutely brand new to quality photography and I don't really know what I should be looking for. I've found some very reasonable Canon XS and XSi's with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II lens, and I'm not sure if this will work for what I'm looking for. I want to take some photos of sports players in action and I've found the XSi has a 3.5 fps burst with up to 6 RAW or 54 JPEG images in a row. Will this camera with this lens be alright for amateur baseball and football games in outdoor lighting? Any advice is helpful. P.S. I am looking for a camera good for sports photography that if I shopped could find for about $200-400 used on craigslist or ebay. If you have any better suggestions. Thanks


Answer
The camera is secondary at this point, the kit lens is not fast enough or long enough for night games. You need a 70-200 f/2.8. The newest Canon L IS is the best, but the non-IS and the Sigma are also excellent lenses. You can squeak by with the f/4, but you are going to want to upgrade the lens, so why bother with something you will be unhappy with. You could also get a prime, the 85mm f/1.8 would be good.

Sure, you could use the kit lens, but with the cameras you are talking about, the low light performance (high ISO) is not good enough to compensate for the slow lens. Then, at 55mm, you are not going to be able to isolate the action, plus I don't think the kit lens is USM, so it is slow to focus.

Sports, and night sports especially, is an equipment limed hobby. If you really want to get good shots, you need good equipment. To shoot pee wee kids during the day, you can get away with entry level equipment.

The best Canon telephoto lens under $250?




mistaked


Yeah, I know, my budget is ridiculously low and I get what I pay for, etc, etc. But that's all my parents will allow.

I shoot sports games and nature photography, like at zoos and such.

So definitely at least 250 max zoom. 100 or less for the minimum zoom.

I have tried this lens:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-75-300mm-4-5-6-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B00004THCZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1227835793&sr=1-2
and it was decent. Looking to see if there are other, better options. (:

I am also considering the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Macro Telephoto Lens, but I'm not sure if it will be appropriate for sports?
Oh, I shoot completely for hobby, by the way.



Answer
Canon has better lenses, but I would say all their lenses are at least good so I would tend to go with it. The lens you mention is USM, so it may focus faster than the Sigma you pointed out, which would be handy when shooting sports.

Also, two of the places most recommended in Answers for buying equipment are www.adorama.com and www.bhphoto.com

You can save a few bucks on that lens if you go there.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment