Monday, March 31, 2014

Canon Rebel XTI Sports Lens?




Novice


I just got into photography (newee), I purchased a Canon Rebel XTI. I will be taking pictures of Mixed Martial Arts Fights as well as boxing, and note that I am in Media zone so I am basically right alongside the ring. I have a small budget so I need advice on perhaps the cheapest best lens I can get. Action is non stop at times, and the lighting is only good when the fighters are in the middle of the ring, but bad when against the ropes or fence. Any advice guys or gals?
Note that I cannot use a flash when the fighters are in the ring.



Answer
Well if you pick a fixed focal length you'll benefit in two ways, first you'll have a faster lens, second you need not worry about zooming in or out. With Canon's 1.6 multiplier a 50mm = 85mm lens (a f/1.4 cost about...$300). Tamron's 18-250 (28-400 w/1.6 multiplier) f/3.5 macro zoom cost about $400/$500 bucks.
I own both of these lens mentioned above, though I'd recommend a flash, Canon's 580 EX or the NEW 580 EX II. The little flash on your XTi may not be enough power for those shots across the ring, on the ropes next to you it will work. Once again I know you are on a budget (so am I) but, I got my XTi body with the Tamron lens and a few months later, the Canon 50mm f/1.4 then a couple months later the EX II speedlite.

Check out www.bhphotovideo.com or eBay

Mid range zoom lens suggestion for sporting events?




Kev


I'm looking for lens suggestions for sports photography but it's not for pay. I go to a lot of sporting events @ stadiums and love taking pictures there. I'd love the Canon 70-200mm f/2.6 lens but unfortunatly price is a factor and the fact that MOST stadiums will not allow them inside..

Can anyone suggest a fast zoom lens but maybe not up to 200mm? Trying to get the shallow DoF effect

I have a Canon Rebel t2i

I
I own a 55-250mm f/4-5.6 so I need something a bit quicker



Answer
In a stadium, you don't want a shorter zoom lens......

Consider the 70-300: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/397663-GREY/Canon_0345B002_EF_70_300mm_f_4_5_6_IS.html

or the cheaper and smaller 55-250: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543923-USA/Canon_2044B002AA_EF_S_55_250mm_f_4_5_6_IS.html

I mention these because they are smaller than the 70-200 and you shouldn't have trouble getting them into a game.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment