Saturday, December 14, 2013

If I were to get a DSLR camera that did all this, what brand/model would it be?

d7000 dslr camera with 18-105mm lens on Amazon.com: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 18 ...
d7000 dslr camera with 18-105mm lens image



Gavin


I'm trying to get back into photography, but a bit more professionally than before. I used to have a simple point-and-shoot digital that took nice pictures, but didn't have many features.

As someone who is essentially new to taking photos (especially new to tweaking settings and modes, and I know little to nothing about ISO, but I'm in the process of learning from a friend), I want something a step or two above a beginner's DSLR. Preferably Canon or Nikon (I have my eye on the Nikon D3100, D3200, D5100, and D7000 with the 18-105mm lens or 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens kit. I'm happy to switch gears and try for different lenses/filters, but I don't want to do too much work to attatch them to the camera. Same brands, please). So long as I can get 1-2 extra batteries, pop in a 16 GB+ SD card or memory stick, and get a relatively durable bag to hold everything in, we're good.

-Low/dim and/or dingy light, at night or in shadow
-Bright/reflective lights off glass or water
-Photo shoots for cosplay and modelling during the day, or at night
-Flash, preferably built in
-Large LCD screen
-I prefer the look of a photo using a Full Frame Sensor, but it's not mandatory
-Anti-shake
-Possibly water-proof or water-resistant

I'd prefer something with a little weight to it, but not so heavy I have to use a tripod to hold it up. Video recording would be a boon, but not something I have to have. I'm prepared to spend anything between 1,000$ and 1,500$, preferably not over 2,000$. I have a Best Buy and a Radioshack nearby, but I'm also comfortable ordering online.
An edit I forgot, I'm happy to start low on the totem pole and work my way up, so long as all I have to upgrade is the camera base itself and not all of the accoutrements.
Wow. You know you know nothing when someone's post is the size of your hand, and you've never even heard of the top brand they suggest...

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to look into Pentax Digital SLRs. The LAST thing I want to do is buy a flashy camera I can't use, just because it's flashy and expensive or well-known.

I was hoping for a single lens I could zoom in and out with manually to my heart's content. I think I just don't quite know what 18-55 and 55-200 really mean. I'm not loving the idea of having to buy 3 and 5 prime lenses just to do the work I thought might've been done with 1, but if the quality just isn't there, then there's no point. Maybe I can learn to get away with just 1 as I start out.

If Anti-shake was the only thing I couldn't get, I might've been fine trying to stick with Canon and Nikon, but if there's the hope of being able to use my camera in the rain, all the better. And if HD video is the only t
Whoa! Just got an eyefull of the price of that particular lens..WELL over much budget.


So, to break it down...if I got the K-30 Body Kit (which I'm assuming is just the camera and the bare basics), it's about 600$. Is there a prime lens or two I can get for maybe less than 800$ total?



Answer
If you want something a step beyond an entry level drop the all the Nikon bodies below the D7000. All the lenses you are looking at are just OK. If you want to learn the craft of photography, and you have the money to get started, look at better glass. Buy once and be done that's my motto.

Don't waste time and money buying mediocre zoom lenses, only to flip them for something better. the 18-55 and 55-200 are the worst lenses out there. that's why every camera company pushes them and puts them in "kits", they are cheap.

For zooms, look at fast f/2.8 stuff, like the 24-70. That's a workhorse for a lot of working photographers. To save money, look at used or third party models from Tamron or Sigma.

Try prime lenses. They are superior to zooms. their only negative is the lack of zoom.

Back to your camera requirements, there is no Canon or Nikon that meets your needs. Only Pentax has Anti shake built in, weather sealed models, and some weather sealed lenses too. Pentax also uses superior Sony Exmor image sensors and they stayed with the better 16MP versions, so it will be better in low light at high ISO. Look at last years K 30 or the new K 50. The top of the range for Pentax, the semi pro K5 II. The only real fault I see with Pentax is their HD video. It's OK, but not the best machine for video, but for short clips here and there is should not be an issue.

I'd skip full frame. Sure full frame rocks, but it costs a lot. A Nikon d600 FF is just over 2K, so is the Canon 6D, and Sony full frame A99 is about 2.5K all these are body only, no glass. Pentax has no FF models.

And finally, to get the most out of any camera, you need to put in the work. I work part time as a photographer, mostly events, and I meet people at every event that have dSLRs. Some cost more than mine. It's rare that I meet anyone that actually knows anything about photography, or even knows how to really use their camera. They put their 3,000 dollar camera with a 18-135mm or 24-105 lens that might cost another 500 to 800 bucks and they can't figure out why I'm getting the shots at night, and they are not. Sometimes they will chat me up and in a minute I can figure out they don't know what I'm talking about.

Don't be that person, if you really love this craft of photography start at the bottom, and learn the relationship between ISO, aperture and shutter speed. Know it, learn it, live it. best of luck.

Which one is best among D90 and D5200/D5100 Nikon SLR cameras ?




Kishore


Want to buy SLR Nikon camera.. Can someone please advise which one is good among above models and also advise the good lense.


Answer
Okay, first of all they are all good cameras and any of them would give you excellent images.

The D90 has the weakest sensor and lowest image quality of the three, but it is the most weather resistant, heaviest and physically strongest of them. It also has an in-body focus motor, meaning that it will autofocus with older AF-D lenses. That motor may not matter if you don't already have lenses unless you are intending to buy secondhand lenses. The D90 is also better with flash, particularly for controlling multiple flash setups (which isn't going to be cheap!)

The D5100 outperforms the D90 in nearly about every other respect. The sensor is better, particularly in low light where noise is much reduced. The moveable screen is very useful.

The D5200 is a bit of an unknown. We know the specifications, but no reliable independent reviews have been seen yet. The 24MP sensor is not the same one as the D3200, so it's hard to compare. It's likely that image quality will be better than the D5100, but that comes with larger file sizes which mean you will need a faster PC with more RAM and disk storage to cope with it.

The D5100 is capable of 4928 x 3264 pixel pictures. That would give you a 24"x16" enlargement at 200 pixels per inch, which would be good quality. Just how big do you want to go?

The D5200 is likely to have improved video over the D5100, but that and the extra resolution come at quite a big price hike. Can you afford that extra and do you need the extra resolution?

The other option is the D7000, which combines all of the advantages of the D90 and the D5100 with the exception of not having the D5100's moving LCD screen or built in effects like HDR - and then adds quite a lot of advanced functionality.

If you can afford it - and don't mind the weight - the D7000 is a great camera and I'd highly recommend it. Review here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/nikon/d7000-dslr/steves-conclusion-118.html

For lenses, the 18-105mm VR lens is quite a lot better than the standard 18-55mm VR kit lens, but if you can afford it the 16-85mm VR is better again and a lot more flexible if you do any wideangle work. The 18-200mm VR is a good all-rounder, but it is quite big and expensive. Having said that, as kit lenses go the 18-55mm VR is a good one and would get you off to a good start if you can't afford better.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment