Sunday, December 8, 2013

Lenses and depths of field on DSLR cameras?

dslr camera lenses explained on Nikon Dslr Photography Tips
dslr camera lenses explained image



Sabasaurus


I'm looking at a DSLR and I'm noticing the camera lenses. Can someone explain to me the differences in them? Does one particular lens only work for certain aperatures? Will a f/5.6 lens give me ONLY a shallow depth of field? Or will it give me any type of depth of field?

Hopefully I explained that right.

Thanks for any help.



Answer
Main lens information is focal legth and apperture.

If you see a lens with 70-200mm f2.8-5.6 it means that the lens focal legth only goes from 70 to 200.
Now the F numbers at the front represent the minimum amount of aperture you can get at that focal length. For instance at 70mm you can get anything from 2.8 nothing below. This means that you can get 2.8 3.5 4 5.6 onward. Not at 200mm you cannot get any f-number below 5.6.

Some lenses have fixed aperture. For instance : 70-200mm f2.8. This lens can keep the 2.8 all the way from 70-200mm

Then there are the fixed (or prime) lenses. These have both fixed. For instance, the classical 50mm f1.8. These lenses cannot zoom but provide the best looking pictures in therms of quality and, since they don't zoom, they can have really low numbers aperture with amazing depth of field.

As for the depth of field question, a lens that is f2.8 will give you any field from f2.8 onward.

How do I take good photos of sky lanterns?




rb


There's a sky lantern festival happening tomorrow night, and I really wanna take some good shots of the lanterns as they take into the sky. Does anyone have any good settings on a DSLR camera for shots like these? (I own a Canon 500D). Thanks!


Answer
I'd use my Nikon with it's 35-80 zoom lens set to 80, that the best camera I got right now but it's definitely not adequate.

I used to own a Pentax K-1000 with an assortment of lenses, still do but they're wore out and won't work anymore. Now if you got something similar to a Pentax system---try to do this.

Use ASA 1000 film as I assume you'll be shoot at night, 200 for day. Using a 75-260 zoom lens and bracing yourself against something solid like the roof of your car to avoid hand shake track the subject and shoot.

I recommend you use a flash attachment. The flash won't really carry more than 15 yards but it will reflect and expose an image behind it's principal source of light.

I use a flash to explain UFO's and often I get helicopters and F-117's and when I know what they are they ain't UFO's anymore.

Good luck and good shooting.

Hope you win a prize in "Popular Photography".




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment