Saturday, December 14, 2013

wide angle lens for real estate photography?

best canon lens real estate photography on Reflections at Greenfields Wetlands
best canon lens real estate photography image



Mariana T


I have canon 7d and need a wide angle lens to take pictures of real estate.
which one is the best?
I heard 24-70mm f2.8 is the best so far, but need some opinions from others.
thanks



Answer
24-70 f2.8 is an AWESOME lens BUT on a 7D it's not really a wide angle.

The 7D is what is known as a cropped sensor camera. The sensor is smaller than a full frame camera and has a crop factor of 1.6.

What does this mean? It means that your 24-70 on a 7D (or any other cropped sensor camera like a 60D, Rebel T1i, Rebel XSi ...) has a field of view equivalent to a 38.4mm - 112mm lens. 38mm is not really wide angle ... even 24mm is borderline.

The Canon 16-35 f2.8 would give you an equivalent of 25.6mm - 56mm.
http://www.henrys.com/368-CANON-EF-16-35MM-F2-8-L-II-USM-LENS.aspx

The Canon 10-22 f3.5-4.6 would give 16-35mm but it is a EF-S mount and won't fit on cameras above the 7D (6D, 5D, 1D ...) but EF lenses work on all modern Canon DSLRs.
http://www.henrys.com/23933-CANON-EF-S-10-22MM-3-5-4-5-USM-LENS.aspx

Don't get me wrong ... I LOVE my 24-70 f2.8 but it is NOT a wide angle lens ... not by Canon's classification system and certainly not on a cropped sensor camera.

Canon camera 550d or 7d? Which one should I choose?




Eva85


I am new to photography. I would like to upgrade my Canon 10d camera and purchase either digital SLR Canon 550D, 7D or maybe 60D. I can not decide which one will be a better choice for me. I do not shoot sports. I need it for architecture, real estate, micro photography and still life. Any recommendations?Thank you very much!


Answer
All of the ones that you listed use the same sensor, so you wouldn't gain anything in terms of image quality by choosing the more expensive ones.

Any less than the 60D would feel like a downgrade in terms of ergonomics, as the 550D and 600D have only one dial and no top LCD. The 60D too would feel like a downgrade in terms of build quality due to its plastic body, you're likely accustomed to your 10D's magnesium alloy body (that's purely a psychological issue though).

As fhotoace mentioned, a good lens would do much more for your photography than a new camera would, and getting a used 40D or 50D might be the best choices. If you absolutely want a new camera and are already well supplied with lenses, then the 60D would be my choice here. There is no reason whatsover for your purposes to even consider a 7D.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment