Thursday, December 12, 2013

What DSLR and lenses to get for outdoor shooting?

best camera lens for event photography on Top Nikon Camera Lens Reviews 2013, Best Buy Camera Lens Manufacturers ...
best camera lens for event photography image



Aiste


I am planning on getting a DSLR camera. I tried my hands on Canon 400D and 600D. However I found it rather difficult to get good pictures during the darker days and sporting events as my friend had only the basic lens. So after doing some reading I am still not sure what kind of camera/lens combination would work best for me. I was considering Canon 60D, Canon 700D or even Sony alpha 77. Also I am not too sure what lenses are available to all those models that would suit my needs. I am willing to pay a little bit extra for something that would last me a bit longer and let me develop as a photographer. Also it doesn't have to be the models I mentioned. I just want to know what are the best options. Thank you.


Answer
Your best option is to learn something about DSLR cameras and find some study aids to help with your decision. We all recommend that you handle each camera you are interested in, sight thru it, make believe you are shooting with it. Funny you do not mention looking at the Pentax K30 or even the K50, both super excellent cameras and a pleasure to handle. I switched from a life long love affair with Canon film cameras to Pentax a few years back and have not regretted my decision at all. The Pentax "fits" me better than the Canon. This is my personal decision! What will be your decision or will you just take the word of contirbutors? In regard to lenses the smartest thing is to purchase the camera with the 18-55mm lens. I prefer it when they offer a kit price and include the 50-200mm lens. This saves $50 over purchasing separately! Something to be considered. From there your lens choice is up to you and nobody else. You buy the lens that will do the job you need it to do.. For me I found that todays digital cameras don't come with a lens that enables one to get as close to copy say a 5x7 print like the "film" lenses of "yesterday". So I reasoned that I needed a macro lens. All lens are suitable for outdoor shooting. The fact is that not all lenses are suitable for INDOOR shooting unless you use a flash. But using a lens that is more sensitive to light(has a faster light gathering lens opening) is desireable for indoor available light photography. So say you want a 50mm lens and the lens is available with a lens opening of f/1.8 and also a lens opening of f/1.4. The lens that lets in the most light or is the "fastest" is the f`1.4. Now you will find the lens prices go up quite a bit as the lens speed is increased. I also recommend you purchase a few books written by Scot Kelby, his books are well written and you have access for a limited time to his web site with examples of what he is explaning in the book. Also any night school courses are an excellent source for learning ths craft.

Good Luck!

What does the vibration reduction actually do on a Camera lens?




Yvette T


Title says it all.

Do I really need it? I only plan on shooting at air-soft events/ Nitro rc racing courses and common photography.



Answer
If you're shooting from a tripod or monopod, are using flash or have learned from experience the professional way to handle an SLR, then you probably don't need VR. I turn my VR off when using a monopod but I keep it on the rest of the time.

It's a feature that DOES let you capture images that might otherwise be ruined by camera movement.

Look at the last two images on this webpage. Just move your mouse over the images and you'll be amazed at the difference.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/image-stabilization.htm




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment