Saturday, July 20, 2013

Where can you buy cameras that they use to film movies?

best camera lens rental site on Glidecam Body Pod
best camera lens rental site image



Haz1976554


Or rent


Answer
Hi "Haz":

Since Y!A is a world-wide site, when asking a "where" Question it always helps to say what part of the world you are in.

And if we can interpret your post literally, meaning actual photographic film cinema cameras (as opposed to digital video cinema cameras), then the simplest answer is Panavision Inc., which is probably the largest cinema rental company in the world. They also rent digital video cameras for cinema use, like their Panavision Genesis camera and the Red One Epic cameras used for the new "Oz The Great and Powerful". Panavision started out in the 1950's supplying anamorphic (widescreen) lenses when Cinemascope became a popular widescreen format. They later started making their own line of cameras to rent with their special lenses.

Most movie companies don't buy their gear, they rent, since the cost is very high (a good anamorphic lens alone can cost $10,000 - $20,000 easily).

Panavision only rents (except for older gear that they sell off), but other camera makers like ARRI (short for Arnold + Richter) in Germany and Aaton in France sell their camera gear to companies, dealers, and individuals. Digital-only cinema camera makers like Sony and RED sell their products directly or through dealers throughout the world. Smaller cinema supply companies sell & rent cameras of both kinds (film & video), and are tailored to dealing with people in their region.

The topic of professional cinema cameras is one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" propositions. And if you have to ask where to get the equipment, you probably don't know enough to use it correctly, much less afford it.

hope this helps,
--Dennis C.
 

Rent out a starter Digital SLR?




WannabeTec


Do you think it might be financially beneficial if I purchased a "backup" digital camera from ebay to rent to college students for the semester?

If so, how much should I charge them? Per month or per semester?

I can buy a Rebel XT for anout $400 new on ebay. In the store they cost about 7 hundred dollars.

I have just had people ask to borrow my digital (something I don't do.) I thought if i had a camera specifically meant to be loaned out I could profit as well as help out a few struggling students.
29 minutes ago - 3 days left to answer.
Additional Details
16 minutes ago

I would of course have them sign a contract regarding damage to the camera (but mine is under warranty so if they break it no big deal-I have coverage) in addition to a deposit (of about $250? or is that too high?) they would get back when they returned the camera.

I was planning on only lending it to students in the photography program.

Daily: $15
Weekly: $50
Weekends: $20 a day
Are these costs affordable? Or too high or low?
I dont think I'd trust photo students who have had ONLY one or two classes with a 5D or anything above an easily replaceable XT.

If they want that kind of camera they can go to the camera store and pay $75 a day.



Answer
You might be onto something here. I checked around and found this, for instance: http://www.aperturepro.com/digital_canon.html

I'm sure you've looked into similar sites. You are charging around 10% of what they are charging, so I'd say your rates are certainly fair to the renter - if not to you. By the time you get a camera and lens, even used, you will have over $500 in your rental piece. It would take about a year of average renting (I think) for your return on investment to pay for the camera. If people treat rental cameras the way they treat rental cars, a lower level DSLR might not last a year!

The deposit would have to cover the cost of a new camera and this would be the hang-up for most students. Yeah, they'd get their money back, but I imagine if they asked Daddy for deposit money, he would say, "Why don't you just buy your own darn camera?" I know I would.

You could charge less than the value of the camera and cover the rest with insurance, but I imagine that would cost even more. I checked into a photo equipment rider on my homeowner's policy and I would be able to buy new equipment every three years for the amount of additional premium I'd pay for adequate coverage.

On the face of it, I like your idea. Your rentals seem fair and might be a little low, but you ARE dealing with a student population. Anticipate someone asking for an hourly rate and just say one hour equals one day and that's all there is to it. Do not get into renting memory cards. Anticipate someone wanting a 400 mm lens. You might buy a used 70-300 to rent for an additional $15-20 a day.

You are filling a need where there is no competition. Maybe you'll be rich one day.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment