Friday, April 11, 2014

What lens should I buy for Canon 7D?




OCD


I recently bought a Canon 7D which I will be using to film, for portraiture and weddings, as well as some candid. I need help choosing a lens or lenses that will be great for these things and affordable.


Answer
Hi!
It really depends on your budget, however, judging by the kinds of photography you want to do, I would recommend a wide angle and a moderate telephoto lens.
Depending on what you like, primes (sharper and faster) or zooms (flexibility and comfort), you might have these choices (and others as well):
- primes: 35mm + 85mm, or 24mm + 50mm + 100/135mm
- zoom: 17-40 + 70-200 or 16-35 + 70-200 or 24-70
It really depends on your budget. For example, the 70-200 has 4 variations (f4 with and w/o IS, f2.8 the same way), and the cheapest one costs 1/4 of the most expensive one, but they definitely are highly recommended lenses... But never forget, that the best option is not always the priciest one! If you don't love bokeh or don't have shaky hands, then you don't have to spend thousands on IS... :)

If you're keen on primes, then I would suggest you the 3 Sigma lenses:
Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG HSM (even better performance than the Canon 35L ! )
Sigma 50mm f1.4 and Sigma 85mm f1.4 (better price-performance ratio and faster focus than Canon's L...)
If you want or can afford, Canon 100mm USM or 100L macro lenses work very well too. Both of them.
As long as you shoot group shot as well, never forget that 35mm on a crop body won't be enough...
And you might want to buy a TTL flash (Yongnuos work well and are cheap...) if you don't have one.

Edit: Oh, and I just noticed that you mentioned capturing movies... Then you definitely need IS. Without that... You cannot capture videos...

I hope I could help you a bit.
Bests,
Watt

A good lens for the Canon 7D?




hannabthem


Hey everyone! I do a lot of film work, but I'm new to Canon. I just recently bought the Canon 7D and the 50mm 1.8 lens as a starter. I was looking at getting the 18-135mm lens next, but does anyone have any good lens suggestions?

Thanks and Happy Easter!



Answer
For recording video, you should have bought an actual video camera/camcorder. The 18-135 is not a good lens for video. A 24-70, 17-55 or 24-105 would be.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment