Monday, April 7, 2014

What is an cheaper alternative to the Canon EF 100mm F 2.8 USM Macro Lens?




Alex


I need a decent canon or after market lens for my T2i. thanks


Answer
I use the Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro EX DG.
Not all that much cheaper, but a superlative lens, and in some ways more useful on the APS-C sensor of the T2i as it doubles as a cracking portrait perspective lens, the 100mm is just a little to long for this.

Canon do an ancient but decent 50mm f2.5 which is substantially cheaper, and can often be picked up used. Not 'life size' and means a closer working perspective, but optically a good lens.

Sigma do a 50mm f2.8 DG Macro which is life size, very good quality and around half the price of the Canon 100 new.

I use my 70mm on a 550D and 7D.

Good macro photography lens for Canon t2i?




Stephanie


I have a Canon t2i with the EF-S 18-55 IS kit lens and a EF 70-300mm IS USM telephoto lens.
I want to do some macro photography and have been considering the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM.
So is it a good macro lens, or is there other better macro lens in the same price range?
Thanks



Answer
The Canon 100mm macro is a fantastic lens. It gives true 1:1 macro, is a fast-shallow f2.8 and, along with great macro performance, It is my primary portrait lens (full frame 5D, it would be a little too telephoto for your camera).

I was lucky and found mine locally on craigslist for about 1/2 price. I would not hesitate to recommend this lens, even new at full retail. Very versatile for a prime lens.

Really want to get great macro shots, put a ring-light flash on this lens...just WOW.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment