Saturday, October 19, 2013

Is megapixels more important or optical zoom in cameras?

dslr camera lens jammed on ... Lens  $135.00 (Compare at $246.95) | | Canon Digital SLR Camera
dslr camera lens jammed image



bigpill0w


I really want to buy the Samsung NX1000. It have 20.3 megapixels but only 2.5 optical zoom. Is that consider bad or good? I am a beginner in photography and want to take nice pictures. Should I get a compact system camera like this one or a slr/dslr camera?
I am going to be traveling soon and I will be taking pictures of people, landscape, etc But I want to take pictures during concerts and that's why I'm worry about the zoom.



Answer
Actually the size of the senor is more important than the number of pixels jammed on a sensor

A 6 mp sensor in a dSLR will out perform any P&S camera no matter how many pixels are on it.

As noted, the focal range of an interchangeable lens is not relevant except that it provides you the range you need for the subjects you tend to shoot.

When I shoot landscapes and architecture, I use a 12-24 mm super wide angle lens which in the P&S genre is a 2x lens. When I shoot sports, I use a 200-400 mm lens which would also be called a 2x lens, but it is a telephoto

Here is a link that shows you what different lenses "see"

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/

If you want a single lens solution for your camera, you need to look for a 18-200 mm lens

What do you photographers think of the Pentax K1000 as a first time 35mm film camera?




indiemurph


Looking at buying a Pentax k1000 and was not sure if its appropriate for a first time camera. I would also like to know if they are known to have certain parts that wear out compared to other older cameras.


Answer
The K1000 is among the best, if not the best. I've been shooting for about 11 years and the K1000 is what got me started and passionate about photography. While I have that personal connection to it, I have also become a bit of a camera collector and repair tech so I've come into a fairly Intimate understanding of the K1000 and other similar model cameras.

I have owned 20 some of them and find them to be the most reliable 35mm SLR I've ever handled. I have yet to see one with a jammed shutter or dead meter, which are the two big problems with vintage SLR's. In terms of reliability, I suggest purchasing an earlier metal bodied Asahi K1000 instead of the later plastic bodied non-Asahi version. The plastic body is just as nice but I tend to see the viewfinder prisms de-silver. Honestly though, if the viewfinder is good on the plastic one and the price is good, I wouldn't turn it down.

You can buy reliable models at KEH.com with a 6 month warranty. If you buy from eBay you can get one much cheaper but it will likely need new light seals and a thorough cleaning or more.

Besides being reliable and affordable, the K1000 is nice because it does not have any features you do not need as a student, not even a silly self-timer. It even teaches you to keep your lens caps on because the meter is switched on when the lens is uncapped and there is ample light. I prefer the SE version which has a split screen for more accurate focusing with fast lenses. This body should not be used with lenses that do not have very wide maximum apertures. You may not know what this means right now but if you want to shoot without flash in low light, I recommend the K1000 SE and a 50mm 1.7 SMC-M lens.

There are plenty of nice, cheap lenses for the K1000 and all the lenses work on their DSLR's too unlike Canon and other manufacturers. I also love the 28mm 2.8 SMC-M.

The K1000 is not the BEST 35mm SLR but I believe that it's reliability, cost and lack of unnecessary features make it the BEST student 35mm SLR. A couple more costly but possibly nicer all manual 35mm SLR's are the Olympus OM-1 and OM1-n, Nikkormat FTn and FT2, Nikon FM and FM2n.

Buy any of these cameras from KEH.com in 100% functional condition with a 50mm lens and you will be well on your way to making excellent photos and learning the important points of photography more easily and quickly than you would with automated cameras.

MANUAL AND METAL! FILM FOREVER!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment