Tuesday, September 17, 2013

What is a good first Canon lens for my canon 7D to shoot video with?

best lens canon 7d video shooting on Canon LP-E6 Battery for Canon 60D, 7D, 6D, 5D Mark II, III Review
best lens canon 7d video shooting image



Burtondude


I am a filmmaker, and I am investing into DSLR lenses. I also want to use this lens for photography.
Let me know. I was thinking to get the Canon 50mm f1.2 or f1.4. What do you think?



Answer
I hate smart people who think that being a film maker necessarily involves silver hallide acetate.

JimA doesn't have a video DSLR and so is the wrong person to answer this, as bourne out by his recommendation of a superzoom lens, the quality of which can be most kindly described as mediocre.

Sorry Jim, it's one thing trying to help, it's another racking up points on subjects where you've no useful knowledge (and being facetious into the bargain)

ANYWAY

Back to the question.

I would recommend a constant aperture walkaround, either Canons 17-55 f2.8 IS EF-s lens (very expensive) or Sigmas version, even the Non-IS version (at less than half the cost of the canon) just make sure it is the constant f2.8 aperture version.

With video you can't shoot below 1/30th and are better to shoot at 1/50 or 1/60th, so an f2.8 constant lens gives you an extra 1-2 stops of light over the zoom range compared to a ramping aperture lens.

The max f2.8 also brings the 7Ds AF system to life, particularly the centre point with its dual cross -axis phase detection.

Fixed lenses are less flexible and very fast short tele lenses (the 50mms become more like an 80mm lens on an APS-C 7D) are very tricky to keep in focus. They are great for effect but not easy to live with for general use.

If you really want a 50mm then I would get the cheapo f1.8 version, and get one of the constant aperture walkarounds.

I would never part with the cash for the f1.2 50mm. It's not worth the cash optically. The f1.4 is equal better accross most of the range.

What lens(es) should I look into for the Canon 7D?




Jacob Lang


I'm saving up so I can purchase the Canon 7D this summer. I'm a film maker, so think in terms of that. I'm not very well versed in lenses, so I need some help. I don't know whether or not to get the kit lens (I don't even know if it's any good), but at the very least, I'll need a normal lens.

I don't need the best of the best, price is a factor, I just need something to shoot with, sans most aberrations.



Answer
What kind of effects are you going for? Shallow depth-of-field? That will require some planning and predetermined focus-pulling to keep what you want in perfect focus. A Canon 50mm f/1.4 would be good for that.

If you're looking for a more general lens that can be used for video under a wide variety of conditions, then a Canon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 will be more suitable. Keep it near wide-angle and at a small aperture to keep everything in focus, zoom in to 200mm to record subjects from further away.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment