Monday, August 12, 2013

Whats a good camera for great pictures but no experience in photography?

dslr camera lens terms on ... 58mm Digital Circular PL CPL Filter FOR DSLR Lens AU 031211 | eBay
dslr camera lens terms image



Laly


I like taking pictures, especially of my kids. I want to buy a good camera for those priceless moments. I don't know a thing about cameras or photography but I love looking at those professional photos and I would love to get those results on my photos. Someone suggested the Nikon d5100 but I have been reading and the dslr cameras don't have a lot of zoom. I would have to buy an extra lens to get a good zoom and even with an extra lens, I wouldn't get a great zoom like some other cameras like the canon SX40 Hs (35x). I know that they are completely different type of cameras. (Honestly don't know why). But I would like to know what kind of camera would be good for me, even if I need an extra lens, for me to get amazing photos and a good zoom for taking far away pictures (soccer games, etc). Please explain in plain english because again I know nothing about cameras. :-/


Answer
"I don't know a thing about cameras or photography but I love looking at those professional photos and I would love to get those results on my photos."

It's not the camera, it;s the person behind it that is important. The camera is just a box and some glass that aptures light. the PHOTOGRAPHER is the one that decides what light get's captured and how the box captures it.

The camea doesn;t know anything about composition (ok so a couple of them are able to guess at the rule of thirds), the cmaera won;t know if the person's pose is bad, the camera won;t know that moving 3 feet to the left will give you better light ... you, as the photographer, have to see this before you press the shutter. YOU make the decision of what to include in the scene, when to take the shot.

No camera, will give you good results if you don't learn about photography ... none at all. all you'll ever get are porrly composed snapshots that are porrly exposed because you are letting the camera do the thinking.

Just to give you an idea ... this is the tpe of picture i was takicng when I got my first DSLR.
http://flic.kr/p/9mhSeA

This is what I shoot now:
http://flic.kr/p/appbzY
http://flic.kr/p/dmngSV
http://flic.kr/p/dmngWo

What has changed over the last 6 years? My understanding of photography.

So that being said, pick up your D5100 ... see if you can get a two lens kit (18-55 and 55-200) and that should have you well set in terms of lenses. Then spend a bit on a basic DSLR course and learn about photography ... just don;t expect to be creating stunning images right off the bat.

How much impact will a 1.6x crop factor have on my photography?




lollerskat


I am planning to buy a dSLR camera soon, the Rebel XSi and because it has a APS-C sensor, there will be a crop factor of 1.6x when I use an EF lens for it. I am told to invest in EF lenses but I am worried if the crop factor will have a large impact on it. What if I wanted a wide angle lens? How much will the crop factor impact the ability of this wide-angle lens?


Answer
A great answer by Pooky, my compliments to him on such a clear explanation of the visual effect of this - it's a good question too.

If you know about lenses in 35mm terms the 1.6 factor will make a big difference:
10mm > (acts like) 16mm (in comparison to 35mm)
20mm > 32mm
28mm > 45mm (so a normally pretty wide lens on a 35mm camera will act like a standard 50mm!)
50mm > 80mm (a standard 35mm lens would act like a moderate telephoto / portrait type lens)
75mm > 120mm

This means many digital SLR digital photographers don't have anything more than a moderately wide lens in their armoury, this is a very limiting factor for a surprising number of photographic situations - interiors, candid work in crowded spaces, low light situations, places where you can't step back any further, etc.

The implication is that you need to think very differently for what would normally (in 35mm terms) be considered a very wide lens.. and what may initially seem really wide, isn't at all!

To put this into context, this is not going to worry a wildlife, sports, or paparazzi / surveillance photographer at all. For most other purposes it's like losing a key part of your armoury.

I've been professional for 18 years now and all but a few dozen images out of many thousands were taken on lenses under 100mm in 35mm terms. It's subject driven but I'd guess I use wide lenses probably around 15-30% of the time.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment