Saturday, August 17, 2013

What is the use of camera lens adapters?

best camera lens hood on 52MM Telephoto & Wide Angle Lens + Filter + Hood for Nikon D40 D50 D70 ...
best camera lens hood image



Quizzing


Can anyone please tell me the use of Camera Lens Adapters. What is the importance of having it or not having it?
I am thinking of buying a Canon S3 IS. I am not willing to buy a SLR as I am new to photography. I am thinking of taking photography as a hobby. So, when I went through Canon website I came across this term Camera lens adapter. So, that's the reason why I put up the question in Yahoo Answers.



Answer
I've had the Canon S3is for about 8 months. Love It!

So far, I haven't found a need for the adapters. But, basically, Canon offers a couple of configurations - a barrel type adapter that attaches over the main lens, and onto which you can mount either a wide or tele lens. I THINK there are two different adapters - one for each setup.

If you are going to shoot a lot of wide angle, you might choose the wide angle converter option. This is one area where the S3 is lacking. It's widest normal view is equivalent to about 35mm, which isn't REALLY very wide.

In my experience, the 12x tele in it's original configuation is so good, I doubt that I'd ever want to add a tele converter!

One other possible advantage of using an adapter is that you can add filters or a lens hood.

I strongly recommend that - if you by the S3, and if you want to add adapters, lenses, etc. - buy the Canon brand accessories. Yes, they're more expensive. But, believe me, this in one area where you really do get what you pay for.

And a crappy accessory lens that distorts and has lousy color rendition in NEVER a good buy!

Chck out the Canon website for details ... or DPReview.

Would it be unwise to use a 58mm flower lens hood made for a different lens on my 58mm lens?




Adam


I greatly prefer the styling of the flower lens hoods over the less appealing, generic ones. Seeing that the 58mm lens hoods should fit any 58mm lens, would I be making a mistake picking a lens hood not made for my lens specifically?


Answer
There are two issues with lens hoods.

The first you know about - they must attach to the lens. Any 58mm hood will attach to any lens with a 58mm front diameter.

The second has to do with the focal length that the hood is designed to work with. If your lens has a wider focal length than the hood was designed to work with, you may experience vignetting - darkening of the corners and potentially the edges of the frame.

If your lens has a longer focal length than the hood was designed to work with, the hood will be less effective in controlling stray light entering your lens.

Segmented hoods, sometimes called 'flower' or 'petal' hoods, have four segments rather than one continuous ring. The idea behind them is that if you align the hood with the image frame of the camera, the gaps in the hood will line up with the corners of the frame - the areas where vignetting is most likely to occur. That minimizes the risk of vignetting while allowing the hood to be deeper and therefore more effective in controlling stray light.

The problem with segmented hoods is that to work, the segments must always line up with the edges of the image frame. The design of some lenses results in a rotating front element - that is, as the lens focuses, the front element rotates. If you try to use a segmented hood with a lens that has a rotating front element, you will constantly have to realign the hood because it will rotate as the lens focus changes.

So the bottom line is that if the front element of your lens rotates as the lens focuses, you cannot use a segmented hood.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment