Monday, July 29, 2013

In the market for a digital camera with one specific feature - closeups. Which feature should i look for?

best canon lens everyday use on Panasonic LUMIX DMC-SZ1 Black Digital Camera - Compare Prices and ...
best canon lens everyday use image



epic_laydo


I would like to take closeups of bugs, flowers, coins, etc. Besides an expensive SLR with a macro or whatever lens, would an everyday digital camera with a certain feature suffice my need? Thanks.


Answer
Most of the cameras nowadays have a feature called "Macro Mode" specifically for taking close-ups of small objects. This feature comes built into the camera without the need for additional external lenses.

I have a Canon S2-IS with "Macro Mode" and also "Super Macro Mode". With SuperMAcro mode I can get as close as 1 centimeter from the subject giving pretty impressive results. But in indoor conditions at very close range the camera tends to block the light falling on the subject. Ideally you would use the built-in flash but using this will cast a nasty shadow of the long camera snout, which is irritating. In these conditions you can use an external flash. But I personally prefer not to carry add-ons, so I increase the light sensitivity of the camera sensor by increasing what is called as the ISO number. An ISO number of up to 400 should be expected in a decent camera. You have to keep in mind that increasing ISO number also makes the photos to look grainy, its a balancing act.

So I would say,
- Go for a camera with "Super Macro Mode" feature
- With higher ISO speed (minimum of ISO 400)
- A good resolution (greater than 5 Mega Pixel) should also be handy

Also,
- Search for "Macro Photography" where you will also get many DIY kits for macro photography, if you have not already done so.
- Many camera review websites also take macro mode as parameter of comparison. So go through them before deciding on a camera.

What kind of camera is best for taking detailed pictures of the moon?




Samantha


I am becoming more interested in photography. I own a Canon Powershot A460, but i am thinking about investing in a Digital SLR camera. And this is simply because of the compliments on my creativity that i get with this little camera, I would find great pleasure in being able to photograph the moon and the night sky, if possible.
Does anyone know of what is the best camera for this type of photography? And where I can buy one? $1200 is my limit at this point.
Thank you!



Answer
It's not the cameraâit's the lens. You don't have to buy the most expensive camera body. I own a Nikon D40 which costs under $500 and I get great pictures (and it comes with a standard zoom lens to use for everyday pictures). If you're getting your first SLR, get the Nikon D40. I've had mine for two and a half years now and it's never let me down.

You'd need a big zoom lens to get details of the moon. If you don't understand millimeters (mm) and aperture, you should not invest in an expensive lens. You might realize later down the line that you bought the wrong thing.

But, for pictures of the moon, you could try a Nikon Zoom Telephoto lens that goes from 70 mm to 300 mm for around $550. I haven't tried it, but I think it's what you need for moon pictures.

For night photography, you definitely need a tripod, no question about it. You can get a good tripod for around $100.

This puts you at your limit. I hope this helps!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment