Friday, July 26, 2013

How would you rate the Sony Alpha A200 vs the Nikon D40x or D60?

dslr camera vs lens on Canon Eos 6D Vs 60D
dslr camera vs lens image



Justin H


I've been saving for a DSLR camera for a while now. I have been looking at the Nikon cameras, but I came across the Sony A200 in the same price category. The one review I read seemed to be very complementary, but it didn't compare it with any other brands.

With the Nikon cameras, is there any significant difference between the D40x and D60?



Answer
The D60 is the updated version of the D40X. It has one or two minor extras - scroll about 2/3rds down this page for a list: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60/
And here's the final verdict: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60/page30.asp

I'd prefer either one to the Sony A200.

In this review for the A200 they practically warn against using higher ISO settings and they suggest that you shoot in RAW (instead of jpg) even at ISO 100 for decent image quality... this is simply retarded: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra200/page31.asp
My other go-to review site is kinder towards the A200: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/sony_alpha200_pg6.html

Also, Nikon's selection of lenses and their upgrade path would steer me towards the D60. Then again, I personally use a Nikon D200 so you know, I could be biased ;-)

I'd consider the Nikon D60 vs. the Canon XSi, rather than the Sony A200. And between the D60 and the XSi, I'd simply get whichever one felt better in my hands - the specs and image quality are virtually identical.
---
added:
Thomas, wtf?
At stores the D40X is roughly $150 cheaper (both come with an 18-55mm kit lens... factor into that, that the D60 comes with a newer & better version of the 18-55mm zoom)
Also, I'm a great fan of Fhotoace myself but here his arguments don't make much sense:
if you're a pro, you wouldn't be looking at EITHER of these cameras.
And if you're an amateur, you wouldn't want to use about 95% of Nikon's lenses made since 1959 - most of them don't work properly on the entry level D60. For that (get a D80 or up to use the full range of AF lenses, or a D300 or up to meter with any of the older manual focus AI lenses.) With the D60 you do have a great selection of roughly 30 different AF-S and AF-I lenses. That should still be plenty for most amateurs.

What is the best camera to use to take pictures?




Alice


I don't want a camera for just everyday pictures that go in a scrapbook. The best camera for professional pictures. I'm 15 so i don't need anything too fancy, but i do want something that will give me great pictures.


Answer
You already have what will give you great pictures! That's YOU!
Yes, it isn't camera that takes great pictures, it is you, the photographer, who does. Doing so takes learning, practicing and a little bit of talent. Having a good camera helps a lot, but between a person who has no idea about photography with the greatest camera in a world vs a seasoned professional photographer with the most basic point&shoot camera, I'd put my money on a later to take better pictures...

That said - if you are serious about photography, and are willing to take your time learning (both boring technical stuff, how the camera works, apertures, shutter speeds, sensitivities, focal lengths, depth of field and so on, and more interesting artistic stuff like composition, lightning, etc) - then you would really appreciate an SLR camera, or dSLR (digital SLR). I really don't think you should invest a lot into the best professional camera - Nikon D40 with a kit 18-55mm lens is a great start. It's got all the things you need, it has amazing quality (compared to p&s cameras), and it will be your friend for years to come. The more expensive more professional cameras have the same technology behind them, but more bells and whistles that pro's need.

Good luck in exploring the great art of photography,
LEM.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment