Thursday, May 22, 2014

Which is the better compact system camera, Nikon 1 V1 or Nikon 1 J1?




Maximilian


i'm hoping to buy a compact system camera. I have only used compact camera's before. Through various forums and reviews, i found out that these two are a bit better. Can anyone please tell me which is better off these two, or if not is there any other better one in the same price range.
if possible please give me the prices of these also



Answer
They only differ in features and body build. Both use the exact same image sensor, so you won't get better images out of the V1.

Prices for the J1 have been cut slightly, but I've seen massive cuts on the V1 because it was a giant flop. This happened for two reasons. First out of the gate, the Nikon 1 system is the poorest performer for these types of cameras. Using an image sensor that's even smaller than the micro four thirds really hurt image sensor performance.

Next reason, the V1 was hundreds of dollars more than the J1, and I don't know about you but for that extra dough I want a better image sensor, not the exact same one.

The J1 launched at 649 over a year ago, and the price fell fast. I've seen it being cleared out at 449 and 400. The J2 already launched at a slightly lower street price, and the V1 was slashed big time down to the 400 dollar range to clear them out.

So if you are a fan of the V1, and you can score one being blown out for J1 prices, it's OK. It would be nice to have that nice mag alloy body, and viewfinder over the J1.

Bottom line, the Sony NEX is spanking everyone when it comes to image sensor performance. So for similar money, you can score a Sony NEX F3 and you'll know, packing that camera you've got not only the best image sensor for the money, but a sensor that beats every Canon dSLR with the same size image sensor. Good for you, kind of sad for Canon. On sale now for 499 http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-Alpha-NEX-F3-Camera-and-18-55mm-Lens/en/p/NEXF3K/W

If you don't like that clunky zoom, pick up a prime or pancake lens from Sony, or from Sigma, they just started making glass for the NEX system.

High-Quality Compact (**tiny**) Cameras? P&S, MFT, etc?




eraserhead


I'm going on vacation this summer, and half the areas I'm travelling to will be visually arresting--BUT I can't be weighed down by my DSLR + lenses. HOWEVER, I care a great deal about image quality; in other words, my smartphone wouldn't suffice.

I could care less about megapixel count, I am mainly interested in these qualities:
-the resulting images have high clarity; crisp, a 100% crop wouldn't just be a hazy mess. This is absolutely the most important feature.
-the camera has decent low-light performance; some cameras work fine in daylight, but produce worthless shots indoors.
-it'd be nice if the lens--interchangeable or no--has a wide aperture
-it'd be nice if the camera itself wasn't slow to respond; i.e. if you press the shutter button and it takes the photo 5 seconds later.

I am hesitant to spend more than $500, since I already have a decent camera. I know there are some great M4/3rds kits for around that price, but some are so bulky I might as well take the DSLR.

I was considering the Pentax Q or Nikon J1/J2 because of their wonderfully compact size. However, a nice point-and-shoot like a Lumix LX7 P&S might even produce higher-quality images. What would you recommend?



Answer
For an ILC, I prefer Sony's NEX series, like the new Sony NEX-F3. It has the same size sensor as your DSLR.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NEX-F3K-Compact-System-18-55mm/dp/B00836H2BI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1367044953&sr=8-4&keywords=sony+nex

For a fixed lens camera, I prefer Sony's RX100. It's outside your budget, but you might fall in love with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSC-RX100-Sensor-Digital-Camera/dp/B00889ST2G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367045379&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+rx100

Full disclaimer: I own and love my Nikons.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment