Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Is it possible to give scenic tours of Yellowstone from a plane?




alymac*att


I've always loved Yellowstone National Park and I think it would be amazing to live in the area. I'd like to someday get my pilot's license and give tours of Yellowstone from the air.

Is this legal?
Would it be better to fly a plane or helicopter?
Do you think that people would be able to see wildlife from a plane or helicopter?
Honestly, do you think this business would be successful?

Anything helps:)



Answer
I don't know of any law that says you can't but if you intend to charge for the service you can't do it on a PPL you need extra qualifications for a CPL. Also be aware that cost per seat mile in a helicopter is about 3 times that of a fixed wing aircraft which might limit your clientele.

Also you need an aircraft capable of carrying at least 4 passengers at a time. Something like a Cessna 207 or 210 could work and you can get a good used one at a sensible price.

http://www.trade-a-plane.com will show what's available and will give you clues to cost.

Providing you are away from inhabited areas it's legal to fly as low as 500 feet but safety suggest the make that above the treetops rather than above ground. From that height a small zoom lens on a camera should enable some decent photography.

Don't forget to factor in other costs like hanger costs, insurance and maintenance and the pilot's wages if that's not you.

What shutter speeds should I use to photograph stationary objects or moving ones when I'm the one in motion?




Slicky Boy


I'm taking a day-long helicopter and pontoon boat tour of the Grand Canyon soon. I'll be using an old Canon EF 35mm camera and will be shooting Fuji 400 ISO Pro color slide film H series. A pro told me to make sure to use a rubber lens hood especially on the glass of the helicopter to steady the lens and protect from glare. What I'm curious about is what practical shutter speeds should I expect to use on a moving helicopter - which I understand does hover for photos sometimes - and also what speeds would I likely to be using on a moving pontoon boat? Are the rules for photographing subjects in motion the same as when the photographer is in motion? My lenses include a Canon 50mm f1.4 lens w/polarizing filter, a Canon 24mm f2.8 lens, a Vivitar Series 1 35-85mm zoom lens and a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 zoom lens. I'd appreciate any advice an photographer experienced in these matters would give me.


Answer
Set your shutter speed at about 1/500. You'll need to stay focused on your subject as you are moving to snap the photo. Otherwise everything will be a blur. Try this with your eyes. Focus one thing, then just look at everything going passed you.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment