Sunday, May 25, 2014

can you use eye glasses cleaner on a camera lens?




Olivia H


I saved up to buy a nikon coolpix l100 and i was just wondering if it is okay to use eye glass cleaner on the lens?


Answer
Camera lenses are coated to improve the quality of light that enters the camera. They are not simply pieces of glass. Use a camera lens pen, lens wipe, lens paper or a blowbrush instead.

If you scratch a camera lens, can just the glass be replaced?




quintic


No, I haven't done this, thank goodness, but I was just wondering as I noticed that my lens cover wasn't on my DSLR camera in the case. Can you replace just the scratched surface, or do you have to get a whole new lens??


Answer
... very little! I have seen photos from lenses with small scratches and even one or two with small chips taken out of the lens (1mm square sizes). You couldn't tell from the pictures.

A small scratch or chip is what one would expect from mishandling a lens. The glass is very, very tough, and will resist most things.

Any force strong enough to do more than superficial damage would most likely break any filter on a lens; filter glass is also quite strong--thin, but strong. Now, you not only have the object that broke the filter to damage the lens, but now the filter fragments, themselves! Filter glass has a better chance of scratching your lens that the object that broke the filter in the first place!

I have seen pictures of several lenses after they took a fall, where the lens hit something and busted the filter. Most of the lenses had to be sent to the manufacturer to remove the filter ring! One sustained heavy damage. Photos taken with those lenses prior to repair showed very little effect in the photos (well, the heavy damage one wouldn't focus anymore as well, but that's a 6+ foot drop onto concrete...).

Also, filters can affect your photos; in fact, that's what they're meant to do! Putting a cheap filter on a $1000+ "L" lens just to protect it is turning that lens into, well, crap. I had a lens that wasn't focusing very well; things were soft. I realized that this lens (which I bought used) had a UV filter on it that I never touched. I removed the filter; the difference was noticeable. The filter has been sitting on my shelf every since.

My advice: Use filters for the following reasons, only.
Photographic effects - polarization, star-burst, neutral-density, etc. Protection only during damaging conditions/environment - sand, hail, salt-water spray, etc. For every day shooting, use a lens hood! The lens hood prevents most things from getting too close to the lens, and gives the added advantage (well, the primary usage) of preventing lens flare from slighting off-axis light sources. Most top-of-the-line lenses come with lens hoods for a reason.

For cleaning, get a micro-fiber cloth for small issues. I also got a "lens pen" that works very well; one end is a retractable brush for brushing loose dust, dirt, etc. from the lens. The other is a sort of "micro-polisher" of sorts, that can clean fingerprint smudges, etc.

And if you ever do scratch or chip the lens, take some shots through it to see if you even can tell; I'm betting you won't be able to!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment