Friday, May 30, 2014

Camera Comparison?




photoenhan


I'm looking to get a dslr and it's proven to be difficult to decide. I've read several reviews of the cameras and they seem to be fairly similar. Good anyone give me some ideas-do you have a preference?

This is going to be my "starting out" camera, I will be upgrading in a few years-after school-and I'll probably want to stick with the same camera company-so is there one above the rest that would make for an easy transition?

I will be shooting some landscape photos but mostly people-a few studio type but most outside. For the starter camera I won't be doing sports-the fastest action will be dancing-but the next camera I get will have to be able to take good pictures of action-track/cross county, etc.

My experience with digital is limited to the canon powershot, but have used a 35 mm slr.

The 3 cameras that I've been trying to decide between are:
Nikon D80, Canon Digital Rebel XTi, and Pentax K10D.

Thanks in advance.

~Christen



Answer
At present, those cameras may seem "comparable" but I suggest that you visit a camera shop and hold the three in your hands and see how they FEEL in your hands; my guess is that you'll prefer the Nikon's no-nonsense feel and the ergonomics.

My own personal reason for choosing the Nikon would, of course, be the optics. When you buy a SLR camera, whether digital or film, you're actually buying into a lens system. Lenses normally outlast cameras, unless dropped on a hard service or submerged in water. So, when you buy a lens, you know that it must fit the next level camera. Well, I don't know about Pentax or the Rebel, but I do KNOW that the lens for the Nikon will fit the other digital Nikon cameras currently in popular use: D50, D70, D70S, D100, D200, D2X, and will fit whatever other camera they make in the future (they have NOT changed their lens mount since 1959).

The other reason for choosing Nikon is that the lenses are known for superb engineering and build craftsmanship PLUS superior glass formula (yes, glass AIN'T just glass). I would even suggest that you look at the very versatile Nikon lens: Nikkor AF DX 18-135mm lens, and consider getting "faster" lenses in the future so that you can start building your "arsenal" of lenses that will be with you for many years to come.

I bought all of my "better" lenses on the used market and I saved a bundle for a better grade of brand name and quality rather than go with generic lenses (I learned my lesson a long time ago and vowed NEVER to repeat that error after a most humiliating and most embarrassing experience with a generic lens, which I sold immediately after one use; all the images came our soft around the edges, and I later discovered that it was a common fault with inferior glass used by generic brand companies in order to compete with brand names) (generic lenses are mostly for once-in-a-while photos like vacationers or those who bring out a camera for "special" holidays/occasions; avid photographers are a bit more discriminating and concerned with image detail quality).

EDITED: I should have mentioned that the features at this level of camera are very close to the more expensive "professional" level cameras. The features are there to give you more versatility and means to get things done under a lot of different circumstances that will arise. You'll also find that the features are located where you can easily access them, and in a shot time, you won't have to take your eyes away from the viewfinder to locate the features.

Good luck and very best wishes.

DSLR camera lens comparison?




biggestper


Hi guys.

I have an XTI and have two lenses I'm looking at, hoping to buy one.

I'm looking for something with more zoom than my 75-300mm lens I have now. I found 500mm to be the next step up.

I have a Opteka 500mm f/8 Telephoto Mirror Lens for Canon EOS / Canon EF (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000HCNMPQ/ref=ord_cart_shr/103-1628137-2139811?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A1P9QRDRYY6FXL&v=glance)

Which looks nice. It has nice reviews and it's quite inexpensive. A big bonus is how small it is! It doens't stick out 2 feet!

The other one in consideration is Opteka 500mm HD Lens for Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT XTi (http://stores.channeladvisor.com/47stphoto/items/item.aspx?itemid=4015373)

This only mentions 500mm, isn't there supposed to be a ###-###mm ratio? It's nice because it's a real lens, not a mirror. Downside is it's MUCH longer in length. It also as f8/-f32 with the OTHER lens only an f8. I don't know what this means.

Only $15 difference. Can I get your thoughts?



Answer
Be aware, both are bargain manual focus lenses. They will give you the extra reach you want, but will not give you the same quality as your Canon 75-300mm. If I could make a suggestion, consider a Canon teleconvertor. It will give you better quality than the Opteka lenses.

The mirror lens requires you use Aperture mode metering, FYI.

The second longer lens is not a zoom, hence no reference to any other focal length other than the 500mm. I've seen Opteka and other companies pair this with a cheap doubler for a 500-1000mm lens, but that's going from bad to worse.

Hope this is helpful.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment