Saturday, April 26, 2014

My (Canon) kit lens broke. Ideas?

Q. I have had my Rebel XS for 3 years now I think, and the kit lens AF finally broke. I was just looking into buying a telephoto, but I guess that will have to wait, because I used the kit lens 24/7!
The one I had was the non-IS 18-55mm, and it was actually a pretty good lens, minus the really slow AF and it always would get "stuck" focusing. Any ideas as to what would fulfill my need for a basic "walk-around lens"? Under $500 preferably, and I would like the best bang for my buck. :)
I was looking at the Sigma 17-70 F/2.8-4, but I'm scared of buying from a third-party lens due to the lenses not all being of equal image quality.
Any other ideas? I was also thinking of the Canon 50mm prime (f1.8), but the zoom on the 18-55 was so handy.
Or, should I send it in to get it fixed? I don't want to, but I would like to hear your ideas.

Thanks! :)
PS: I was looking at my Exif info, and it appears as though I use 30mm, and 50mm the most, and 18mm a bit too, for my landscape photos, if that helps.
ï¾ï¾ï¾: I know how to focus manually, but it's kind of hard to focus manually when you're taking photos of a dog running everywhere. I do manually focus for macros, and landscapes, but that's it. 90% of my photography is composed of animals, which tend to move around a lot, and I can't focus that quickly.
Fishmeister: Thanks so much for your detailed answer! :)
Now that I think of it, I was starting to get pretty sick of the 18-55. So, I'm going to buy the 50mm f1.8 II for right now, and maybe the Sigma, too, if I find I'm missing the zoom. Then, I'll save up my money for a good telephoto lens so that I can finally take photos of wildlife without scaring them off! :)


Answer
After carefully reading your question I have deduced a few things about you and your hobby. I think that you enjoy photography but do not take it completely seriously. You are not interested in buying expensive gear, fast lenses etc.. You are happy with what you have got with the XS and kit lens and use your camera occasionally, perhaps when out with friends visiting places or perhaps at family events.

Please correct me if I am wrong there ;o)

Anyway, the reason I say this (and I do have a reason) is because it is a key factor in recommending a lens for you. I have never known anybody who has used that lens for more than a couple of months and became sick of it! There are no if, but's or maybe's, it is one of the worst lenses Canon has ever produced. And you have used it for three years! :o) I remember my Canon 350D came with this lens, and I think I used it for maybe a month or so before sticking it straight on eBay, I think it sold for around £20-25, and that was a good few years ago.

Looking at my lens collection now, I currently have thirteen lenses. All of them are manual focus only. Now, I prefer this, but you may not. But your lens is still functional, just use manual focus! I understand that you may prefer AF, your eyesight may not be particularly good etc, but give it a try! Every AF lens I have ever owned I have had switched to MF.

Now I can't see the point in recommending an expensive lens like the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, I don't think that you would need a lens like that. I concur with Steve, the newer Canon 18-55mm IS lens is much, much better than the original non IS lens, both optically and mechanically. In fact that Sigma you mentioned is far better in every way than both the Canon 18-55mm lenses! I would certainly rather have that!

I think that your money would be better spent on the newer 18-55mm and why not buy the 50mm f/1.8 II as well. I prefer prime lenses in every way! in fact all the lenses I own are primes. Don't bother getting that lens fixed, you could buy one from eBay for a fraction of the cost of getting it fixed.

.

Canon 5D original + better lens or 5DMKII + kit lens?




INeedHelp


the prive of the original 5D has dramticaly went down. ive seen them going for around 800-900 a body. i am planning to upgrade but i dont know. my budget is 3500. I do not have any lenses build up so if iwere to get mkII i would only be able to get something like the kit lens (24-105 4L). if i get mkI i can get like a sigma 70-200 2.8 and 24-70 2.8 which is almost a whole 2.8 trinity (10-24 24-70 and 70-200) but then again i can go for the mkii and make money through the kit lens and buy better and faster glass later on. my plan is to stick with one of the cams for 5 years and upgrade after so mkii will have more value if i sell it. just wondering so i can get one becore christmas holidays. thanks


Answer
The "Kit" lens (24-105 mm L) is hardly what is considered a cheapo lens ( http://www.amazon.com/Canon-24-105mm-USM-Lens-Cameras/dp/B000AZ57M6 ). It is generally > $1,000.

The 10-24 mm lens does not work with it. There isn't one for Canon. Nikon makes one, but it's for cropped sensor only.

What do you mean, make money with it? Are you buying the camera / lens as an investment and hope to make money when you sell it? Don't take this the wrong way--if you mean to take photos and make money from that, you're not ready yet.

-------------

Sorry--didn't really answer your question. You will find that the original 5D is a fine camera. And at 12 MP files that it gives you, you can blow it up to a poster sized print, like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/little_pooky/2501007156/ (This one was enlarged to 20 x 30 inch print and it looked fine).

This is from mark II http://www.flickr.com/photos/little_pooky/5237074902/

These cameras are hardly for sport photos if you're aiming to shoot ten frames per second. It's more or less for studio work.

---------------




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment