Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Canon Rebel XTI Sports Lens?




Novice


I just got into photography (newee), I purchased a Canon Rebel XTI. I will be taking pictures of Mixed Martial Arts Fights as well as boxing, and note that I am in Media zone so I am basically right alongside the ring. I have a small budget so I need advice on perhaps the cheapest best lens I can get. Action is non stop at times, and the lighting is only good when the fighters are in the middle of the ring, but bad when against the ropes or fence. Any advice guys or gals?
Note that I cannot use a flash when the fighters are in the ring.



Answer
Well if you pick a fixed focal length you'll benefit in two ways, first you'll have a faster lens, second you need not worry about zooming in or out. With Canon's 1.6 multiplier a 50mm = 85mm lens (a f/1.4 cost about...$300). Tamron's 18-250 (28-400 w/1.6 multiplier) f/3.5 macro zoom cost about $400/$500 bucks.
I own both of these lens mentioned above, though I'd recommend a flash, Canon's 580 EX or the NEW 580 EX II. The little flash on your XTi may not be enough power for those shots across the ring, on the ropes next to you it will work. Once again I know you are on a budget (so am I) but, I got my XTi body with the Tamron lens and a few months later, the Canon 50mm f/1.4 then a couple months later the EX II speedlite.

Check out www.bhphotovideo.com or eBay

Best Canon lens for travel? I'm looking for a walkaround "all-in-one" lens with a good zoom?




lwa519


I have a Canon EOS 5D Mark II and I need a good lens for traveling. I can't carry four or five lenses around everywhere I go, especially while on vacation, so I want to buy a lens with a good zoom, auto-focus, and USM. I'd love for it to get to f/2.8 but f/4 is acceptable too.

Oh... and I'd like for it not to be too expensive. Definitely needs to be under $1,000 (hopefully way under $1,000 but I know that's not likely)
Would this one be good? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000053HH5/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header



Answer
The Canon 70-200mm f/4 is a great performer, a lot better than the budget telephoto zoom lenses. However, unless you plan to do only sports or wildlife shots, you'll need at least another lens. The Canon 24-70 f/2.8 works well, although like what the previous person said, it's a little out of your budget.

The Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 works similarily, at a lower price: http://www.adorama.com/SG247028HEOS.html?searchinfo=Sigma+24-70mm+f%2f2.8+canon

If you want a do it all lenses that'll cover pretty much all the focal lenths you'll need, consider the Tamron 28-200mm. http://www.adorama.com/TM28200DEOS.html?searchinfo=Tamron+28-200mm+canon

If you are willing to forego zoom for a way faster lens, consider the Canon 50mm f/1.4: http://www.adorama.com/CA5014AFU.html?searchinfo=canon+50mm+f%2f1.4




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment