Sunday, February 16, 2014

What is a good cheap canon lens for wedding/portrait work?




Gigi


One of my friends is letting me photograph her wedding, and she can't afford to pay me more then $300 so I'm not going to go all out and buy a new body/ expensive lens ect..and I do plan on buying a flash.
I have a 50mm 1.8 for the close ups, but I need a good tele lens for under $300. I'm using a Canon Rebel xs. I would also like to be able to use it for portrait work. One of my friends uses the Sigma 70-300 for Canon, would that be a good one to look at?
Thanks!



Answer
I have a 28-100 that works really well for macro and for portrait. are you using more than one camera body or will you have to switch the lenses out during the ceremony.
the 70-300 wont be much use for the close up stuff - but it should work well as a telephoto.
What sort of flash are you buying - for only 300 it sounds like you are not going to break even if you buy a new lens and a new flash unit.

the link below has some photography equipment review sites in it - you should take a look around at some of those forums (you don't have to necessarily buy a canon lens for your canon camera)

What's a good canon lens for wedding portraits?




Katy


I have a Canon Rebel T2i and I'm looking for a good lens for a wedding that I will be attending in May. I'm not much of a portrait photographer, but I'm going to take pictures as a favor to the bride's family.

Since I don't have much expertise in the subject, I've turned to you guys for advice. I can't afford to spend a couple thousand dollars on a lens. I've been reading up on portrait lenses and I think I like the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, but that's mostly just a guess on my part. Like I said, I have no experience in this area.

I'm also kind of looking for a lens to capture the scenery. I don't have many lenses because I can't really afford them, so any recommendations for this particular location would be wonderful. I've included the facebook page for the venue.
https://www.facebook.com/FairgateInn

I really appreciate your help, guys. Thank you in advance.



Answer
Do they have a professional wedding photographer too? You may want to remind them that when everyone has forgotten the cool location, the pictures are all they will have to remember that day and no matter how good they think you are - the fact you say you aren't a portrait photographer should make them spend the money on a photographer who is actually qualified for this.

Anyway - as a very cheap but good portrait lens, the 50mm 1.8 is a good bet. However, for a wedding, you will need a lens with much wider variety so I would say 24-70 if you're only after 1 lens. It's not cheap though and the money they would have you spend on that can be spent on a wedding photographer. If they do already have a pro wedding photographer, and you're just doing extra shots, then the 50mm 1.8 will suffice.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment