Monday, February 17, 2014

Is the Canon 18-200mm EF lens considered versatile?




Stephen


I own a Nikon D3100, and two lens: the 18x55mm VR and the zoom 55-300mm VR both from Nikkor (Nikon). I use it almost daily, and I realize that for my uses, I find myself needing to switch from indoors (I use the 18-55mm for this one) to outdoors (55-300mm). I find it a hassle to keep switching out these lenses almost every time I use them, and I usually carry my DSLR and my 2 lens w/ me. These get heavy after a while, so I'm considering a compromise between the two of these lenses that A.) meets the ranges of the focal lengths between the two and B.) that I can use only one lens instead of bringing two. And also, I'm planning on getting a Canon 60D or Rebel T3i as my next DSLR purchase in the near future, so I'm buying lenses that will fit those (as per the Canon 18-200mm EF lens). I am aware that I need to get an additional mount adapter to use the Canon lens on the F-mount of my Nikon.

So what I'm asking is this: Can the Canon 18-200mm lens do everything (and more) than my Nikkor 18-55mm? I heard about the focus of the 18-200mm is considerably wide, although (b/c I'm new to photography) I'm not sure what that would mean.

And if I do get the Canon lens, I might consider selling my 18-55mm depending on how good the Canon lens is. Anyway, any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
I am thinking about upgrading to a Canon 60D or a 5D Mk II in the near future, but that's not until after 5 years.


I might buy this lens used (if I decide to buy them at all)



Answer
18-200mm lenses have nice versatility, but there is some sacrifice in image quality. You might be able to reduce your lens changing considerably by getting the 18-105, which is reputed to have more consistent image quality. If you do want 18-200mm then get the Nikon lens. It costs twice as much as the Canon, but it is better quality.

What is the most versatile lens for a DSLR?




XD


I am HOPEFULLY going to be getting a Canon DSLR. I am looking more towards the EOS 30D. What do you guys think of that camera, or do you recommend a different one? Plus, what lens would be most versatile for the camera? I do NOT do a specific type of photography. I do it all, and I really want to find one lens that could work for my versatile style. Also, I would like if the price was UNDER $200. I know I can find some really expensive lenses for really cheap, so really suggest anything. Thanks.


Answer
The most versatile lens at this time is the Nikon 18-200 mm VR lens.

Since you are buying a Canon you may want to look at something like the Canon 18-55 IS mm or 24-85 mm USM. As you can see they are not as long a lens as the Nikon and the 24-85 mm does not have Image Stabilization. However with good photographic skills that should not be a problem




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment