Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Why does macro photography need more light?

best canon ef lens for macro on My Photo equipment Photo Gallery by Rob Uchniat at pbase.com
best canon ef lens for macro image



Mike


I notice it especially indoors. When I zoom in on something small with my macro lens (canon ef 100mm f/2.8 non USM) I absolutely need a tripod to avoid camera shake. Is this normal? Does the USM version of my lens allow more light in?


Answer
It isn't just the light (although, if you get so close that your camera and own head shadows the light, that too), but also it's a thing about depth of field. When you shoot macro, at 100mm, at f/2.8 and very close to the subject - all three of these things (long focal length, wide aperture, close to subject) shrink your depth of field to be paper thin.

Move your camera just a notch between focus being locked and shot is taken, and your subject falls out of focus. It's not a motion blur that you'd see, you'd be just missing focus, because you moved your camera, not when that shot was being taken (you probably know better to hold it well at that time), but between focusing and shooting!

You may somewhat help yourself by closing aperture tight (f/11, f/16 or so), so that you get a slightly better DOF, but then... well, then you really do need lots of light for shutter speed to be decent, or else you'll get the actual motion blur you were talking about!

So either way - a tripod is a good thing to have when doing macro work... Or hold your camera absolutely still for the whole process - focusing and taking a picture...

LEM.

Is this all i need to shoot bugs in deep macro detail?




Tha Syko C


I have a canon eos rebel xs

will this lense fit? ---> Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Is this lens all I need to shoot macro of bugs and still life?
If I do need something else like tubes or a flash kit, what do I need?
Thanks in advance.



Answer
Great setup... I would also get a tripod and/or bean bag to stabilize your camera while you shoot so you can get a larger DoF. But I own and love that lens and it will work well with that camera.

I have used tubes with that lens, and while it gets you a little closer, it kills the working distance of the lens, which is one of its best features. Don't use tubes if you're shooting bugs; you end up needing to get too close to the bugs to focus correctly and they run away.

Good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment