Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Recommended lenses for Nikon DX body user that has no plan to go FX in the near future?

d7000 dslr camera with 18-200mm lens on Nikon D7000 Digital SLR Camera & 18-200mm VR II DX AF-S Zoom Lens with ...
d7000 dslr camera with 18-200mm lens image



Joshua Jam


Hey guys, just need your help.

My dream lenses our Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 and Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VRII. I currently use a Nikon D7000. So here's the catch. I don't plan to change to FX in the near future because I will need that extra boost on the DX sensor. yes I know you could now change FX cameras to DX formats with a few clicks on the menus. But seriously, please recommend some lenses that are good for me, a Nikon DX user.


PS - you might be wondering why I'm still asking this question, because I have just stated to great lenses. Well, read this fact. I said in the near future (around 5-10 years), I won't be buying any FX bodies, just DX bodies. So, the 24-70 is practically useless, and i'd rather buy the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8. So the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 is one example great for my DX body.

PS again - Yes, I know that the lens I need depends on what I shoot. Well, I'm an events (includes debuts, weddings, birthdays, club parties, and all other events) photographer.

Cheers!



Answer
It matters not if you use DX or FX lenses on your D7000. In reality the only difference is the FX lenses are a bit heavier and larger.

Iit is generally agreed that the center of any lens is the "sweet spot", and in DX, you will only be using that part of the lens. You might actually find that the FX lens performs better on a DX body.

Essentially, a DX lens is just "mechanically cropped". If you could visualize putting a FX lens on a lathe and turning it down to DX size, you would have a DX lens.

It matters not if you have either a DX or FX lens when it comes to your DSLR. Both a FX 35mm lens and a DX 35mm lens will appear like a 52mm lens on a cropped camera.

The real issue with FX vs. DX lenses is at the wide angle end. While DX cropping is an advantage at the telephoto end, DX takes away what it gives at the wide angle end. For this reason, you have to buy wider angle lenses for DX use.

I have a D90, and I may or may not make the jump to FX. Other than my DX superwide lens (Tokina 11-16mm) and DX Fisheye (Nikon 10.5mm) - which have to be DX, I favor buying FX lenses.

First, you cannot buy a high performance DX version of the Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8. But then, it would be money wasted if you desired to ever jump to FX. And the 70-200 works perfectly fine on a DX camera, and in fact, may even work better (due to the sweet spot as discussed above).

So whenever I can, I buy FX lenses for my D90.

Which lens you buy is up to your needs, but all I can tell you is what I own:

Nikon AF 10.5mm DX f/2.8 fisheye
Tokina 11-16mm DX f/2.8 superwide angle
Nikon AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5~5.6
Nikon AF-S 40mm f/2.8 micro
Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8
Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5~5.6
Nikon AF 80-200mm f/2.8
Tokina 80-400mm f/4.5~5.6
Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro

Each lens I own is for a specific purpose:

- The fisheye is just for, well fun.

- The Tokina 11-16mm is for landscapes, interior of buildings (like the f/2.8), etc.

- The Nikon 18-200mm is my vacation lens. Like all superzooms it does have some optical issues, but at f/8 those issues go away. So ffor vacation, I am willing to trade convenience of only needing one lens vs the limitation that it is a daylight only (f/8) lens. When on vacation, I typically take the Tokina 11-16 and this lens. I like to travel light, and don't want to carry 9 lenses.

- Nikon 40mm micro. I use this as my macro lens for everything but bugs. The DoF is a lot more favorable at this focal length, and I can usually use it hand-held, with auto-focus, and don't need a flash.

- Nikon 50mm is my "normal" and low-light lens. If I am not travelling, I take my Tokina 11-16, this 50mm, and one of my telephoto lenses. I have learned to zoom-with-my-feet with the 50mm to provide coverage from the tokina's 16mm to my telephoto's beginning.

- Nikon 70-300mm. This is my go-to lens for everyday telephoto use. And I have a Nikon V1, with a FT-1 adapter. That allows me to attach this lens and I end up with an equivalent 189~810mm telephoto due to the Nikon 1's 2.7x crop factor. This is my birding setup. So this lens gets double-duty for use with both my D90 DSLR and Nikon V1.

- Nikon 80-200mm. This is my sports lens. Whenever I want to photograph a sports event, this is my go-to lens. And I use it for portraiture. I have been a convert to using telephoto lenses for portraiture. At f/2.8 @ 200mm, bokeh is outstanding. But it is rather heavy, so it stays home if I don't need it.

- Tokina 80-400mm. This is my long reach telephoto. I use it when I need the most reach, and while it will also work on my Nikon V1, it will only work in manual focus (it is a AF type lens rather than AF-S). But on a tripod, manual focusing the moon works out OK, and on the Nikon V1, it comes in at over 1,000mm effective focal length.

- Tokina 100mm macro. This is my "bug" macro setup, since I can stay back a bit. However, with wafer-thin DoF, I need to shoot at f/22 or less (the lens will go to f/64). This means I also have to use my Nikon R1 macro flash system - even in daylight, and usually a tripod. Since this is rather cumbersome, I only use it for bugs.

Anyway, these are the lenses I use and the reason for each one. My recommendation is to figure out what kinds of photography you wish to do, and buy lenses accordingly. Don't rule out buying FX lenses, even if you never have the need to jump to a FX body. You can use FX lenses on your camera without any issues.

what kind of lens do i need?




Me_Myself_


I am getting a Nikon D70 tomorrow (body only) What would be the first lens i should buy for it? Thanks!


Answer
My D70 came with a 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5, which was better I think than the 18-105mm f/3.5~5.6 that is now kitted with the D90 and D7000.

It really depends on your needs.

Is this your first (of many) DSLR, and are you looking to build a system?

Do you want this to be a one-lens camera and not have to change lenses out.

If the former, start out with a 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1,8, as this will form the anchor for your remaining lenses. It is not necessary to cover every millimeter with a zoom, and with this lens, you can eventually add a super-wide angle, such as a 11-16mm f/2.8, and a good zoom, such as a 70-200 f/2.8 or 80-200 f/2.8.

Those lenses will be high performin, and perhaps a bit overkill for the D70, but with the realization that you will replace the D70 at some point, you will have a killer system.

If all you are looking for is a single main lens, then a 18-105mm or 18-200mm is what you will want.

So the zoom lens gives you flexibility now, the prime gives you flexibility later (but you could always do both).




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment