Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Why do camcorders have excellent optical zoom (40ish) but digital cameras do not (20ish)?

dslr camera lens mug on Nikon Camera Lens Mug
dslr camera lens mug image



Adrian


Just wondering why Camcorders can zoom in farther than digital cameras...


Answer
Reason is because camcorders' sensor is far smaller than digital camera. The smaller the sensor the easier it is to design superzoom lens.

Compact caemra with 20ish-x zoom has sensor size of 1/2.33", while those higher end compact cameras with 5x zoom has 1/1.7".

Camcorder normally have 1/3" sensor to even 1/6" sensor. Very small.

Same goes to DSLR lens, with a much much larger sensor, a 3x zoom lens would be as big as a beer mug.

So it's all about the size.

Shops in Tucson AZ? Safe to buy lens online?




Antonio88


Im going to buy a lens for the first time, for my dslr. Its going to be $700 and I was thinking it might not be safe. I have bought things from Amazon but only inexpensive things. Once a coffee mug got lost during the delivery and Amazon agreed to replace it, even though its reports said it had been delivered.

Anyways, anywhere I can buy camera lenses in Tucson? I dont live there, but its the closes city. If I dont find shops I might order it from Best Buy but I would like to find a camera only store that has lots of lenses available for pick up...



Answer
Most people make their camera equipment purchases from either B&H Photo or Adorama. I have been doing business with them since I was 18 now am age 71. No problems. With Amazon although I have had absolutely no problems you are in effect dealing with two companies instead of one.

www.bhphotovideo.com 1-800-854-5575

www.adorama.com 1-800-223-2500

Good Luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment