Thursday, March 6, 2014

What type of a camera lens would you recommend for taking outdoor portraits?




Someone


I'm doing a shoot with my friend, and I own a Canon Rebel XSi.

I have a 50mm f/1.8 and the kit lens (18-55mm).

I'm thinking to use the 50mm, but are there any ones I should try out? I have money to get a new lens.



Answer
Yep the 50mm f/1.8 you already have its great for outdoor portraits. But if you want to get another lens for portraits the best option are fixed lenses because they tend to be sharper than zoom lenses. Also another advantage of using fixed lenses is that you get more creative because you are forced to step close or farther when trying to recompose your image, and you can get nice photos trying new angles and distances. Some photographers seem to anchor themselves to one spot when they have a zoom lens.

I for example, use the macro 2.8 L USM IS lens for outdoor portraits. I actually use that lens all the time, i just love it. Its great for portrait and macro and also i can get really cool macro shots from the face.

But you will learn that depening on the lens you get you will take different types of pictures. A wide angle lens will give you another bizarre point of view for portraits. I mean it all depends on what tyoe of portraits you want to do. Just image and decide which lens you want to work with.

My list of great portrait lenses.
macro 100 mm L USM IS
28-70mm
70-200mm
50mm 1.4 or 1.2
the 85mm one its amazing too

havea great day

Is this a good outdoor portrait lens?




Amanda


http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Standard-Medium-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B00009XVCZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296024916&sr=8-1

I've read a lot of reviews that says it's great for indoor portraiture but I do mostly outdoor...
Suggestions?
&&& I just wanna say thanks to everyone who has helped me with ALL 5 billion of my questions over the last 24 hours. You guys are great!
Thanks Hondo. I'll order it asap!
Enzo--A wide angle lens?? You're the first person who's said anything about me needing a wide angle lens.



Answer
If it is good for indoor, then it will be good for outdoor as well.

What makes it good for indoor is that it has a very wide maximum aperture, which means it will allow more light to hit the camera's sensor in low light conditions (but you already know the relationship between lens aperture and light ...right?). If it were a 50mm f/4 lens, then it would still be a good outdoor portrait lens, but would not be a good indoor portrait lens.

The focal length (50mm) is what makes it a good portrait lens.
The max. aperture (f/1.4) is what makes it a good indoor lens.
If it is good for indoor, it will also be good for outdoor.

Seriously, you need to read a good book about photography. I would recommend a book called "Understanding Exposure." It is cheap, easy to read, and one of the best out there.



Enzo's answer below is very wrong. You most certainly do NOT want to use a wide angle lens for portraits. I am guessing that he did not read your question carefully.

Also, focal length has nothing to do with whether you use the lens indoor or outdoor.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment