Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Will glasses cleaning cloth damage camera lens?




mich�


I just got a new DSLR camera recently, and today I noticed a fingerprint on my lens, so I used my glasses cleaning cloth to gently clean it. I'm going to get a proper lens cleaning pen over the weekend, but I'm worried that what I've done today may have damaged the lens. Could it have?

Thanks in advance.



Answer
the cloth will not damage the lens. it is grit in the dust that will scratch the delicate lens coating when you wipe. cleaning with air is a first step, while that won't remove a finger print, it will clear out the dust, making it safe to use a more aggressive cleaner.

back in the day, when we used Kodachrome Film, a UV filter was mandatory to keep the exposures from turning blue. And many of us older types can remember an incident where having a filter on the lens saved catastrophic damage. So we mostly continue with the filter routine, and consider the keeping of fingers and dust off the lens as a bonus.

Do they make a cloth bag to go over camera lens'?




Melissa


I LOVE my canon powershot XS20 is but I HATE that I have to remove the lens cover every time and it's a pain to get back on! Do they make some kind of little cloth bag that could protect this just as well?


Answer
I suspect that would be just as irritating.

The only thing I can suggest is one of those holster camera bags.
The whole camera goes in, nose first, like this....
http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Camera-Holster-Adjustable-Shoulder/dp/B000MISEI0/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273047608&sr=8-12
It saves dragging around a camera bag when all you need is a spare card and batteries.

Edit *************************************

You could try an ordinary drawstring lens pouch.
It's meant to protect a seperate lens but you could slip it over the lens and pull the string to keep it on.....
http://www.amazon.com/Zing-561-222-Medium-Pouch-Black/dp/B00009UU2H/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273048398&sr=1-36




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment