Sunday, March 16, 2014

Canon vs. Nikon DSLR Camera?




mellowyell


Hey, I've been interested in buying a professional camera for quite some time now and I've decided now is the time. The problem is whether I should go with a Canon or a Nikon? And which Canon or Nikon. I've been in yearbook for three years and have learned the basics of photography, but I'm still considering myself a beginner, so if you could recommend a camera for beginners, that would be great. I've worked very very little with Canon and none with Nikon so please help me out here. Thanks in advance C:

P.S. I'll probably be using it to take pictures with my family and friends, college life, and overall, to pick up my photography hobby.



Answer
Canon and Nikon professional grade DSLR cameras start at about $3,000.00 for just a camera body - no lens included. Examples are the Nikon D600 and Canon 6D which are entry-level full-frame DSLR cameras.

So I'll guess that what you're wanting is more along the lines of an entry-level DSLR such as the Nikon D5200 or Canon T5i.

Here is my breakdown.

Nikon has used the same basic lens mount since 1959 or so. This means that just about any Nikon lens ever made can be used on their current DSLR cameras, with limitations, whether its a crop-sensor like the D5200 or a full-frame like the D600. Although Nikon currently offers two lines of lenses - one marked DX for crop-sensor models and the other marked FX for the full-frame models - a major consideration is that the DX lenses can be used on an FX body. The FX body will crop the full-frame sensor to the same size as a crop-sensor but at least your DX lenses can be used on an FX body.

Canon changed their lens mount in 1988 with the introduction of the EOS Rebel auto focus 35mm film cameras which used the new EF lens mount. Canon, therefore, has limited backwards compatibility. Canon, like Nikon, also offers two lines of lenses but with one major difference - Canon's economy lenses are marked EF-S and under no circumstances can they be used on a Canon full-frame DSLR (6D, 5D, 1D). So someone who invests in a Canon crop-sensor DSLR and 2 or 3 EF-S lenses will have to replace their lenses should they ever upgrade to a full-frame body.

So if your choices are between Nikon and Canon in my opinion Nikon has the advantage as far as backwards compatibility and allowing use of any Nikon lens you own whether it was designed for a crop-sensor or full-frame body.

Other cameras worth considering would be the Sony SLT A65 and the Pentax K-30. Both offer backwards compatibility comparable to that of Nikon and superior to Canon. The Pentax K-30 is currently the lowest-priced Weather Resistant (WR) DSLR on the market. WR means its safe to use the K-30 in the rain or in very dusty conditions. Take a comparably priced Sony, Nikon or Canon out in the rain and more likely than not you'll ruin the camera.

You can find reviews of every currently available DSLR at this site:
http://www.imaging-resource.com Reviews are lengthy and in-depth.

T-Mount Lens V. Regular Camera Lens?




McKenzie b


So I am looking to get a new lens for my camera. I don't have a whole lot of money so I was wondering how well T-Mount lenses work. Should I get one and try it out and spend less money or should i go with the standard SLR lens?


Answer
The T-mount lens is a regular camera lens. You only have to get the proper T-mount adapter to fit your camera. Since the T-mount was introduced decades ago, you will have to manually focus this lens and probably not have the lightmeter work for you. If you have a Pentax dSLR, you can still check exposure value in Manual mode.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment