Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Canon Rebel DSLR Zoom lens?




John


I am looking for a zoom or telephoto lens. Cheap but good qaulity would be nice. It is for all types of use, outdoo, indoor, sports, concerts. I really need something to get me some nice close ups. I will try to get it used on ebay, but I need a good name lens to buy.


Answer
You cannot get high-quality zoom OR telephoto (let alone telephoto zoom) lenses for cheap. Most telephoto zooms work poorly indoors or under low-light conditions as well because they tend to be slower than primes - unless you're willing to spend several thousand dollars for a fast one.

I have a Sigma f/4-5.6 70-300 macro that works for me. It comes with a hood, and works with the EF (not just EF-S) series. It sounds like it could work for you too. The macro would allow to take the close-ups you want, and the lens works very well outdoors. I find that it's a little heavy as I don't have a tripod, but with a tripod or monopod the problem's eliminated.

Canon Lens Question?




t _la


I currently have a Canon Digital Rebel XT with:
-The standard 18-55mm lens
-Canon EF 55-200 f/4.5-5.6

Question:
- s it worth it to get BOTH the Canon EF 70-200 f/4 IS USM AND a Quantaray 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 OS lens?
- Should i get one or the other?
- If neither, is there a lens to get for under $1000 that would complement my current set?

I take photos for the school newspaper, sports games, and family functions.

thanks so much
What about as upgrades for the old ones?



Answer
Your current lenses cover virtually the same zoom range as the lenses you are looking at. They really don't complement your existing lenses at all, but are essentially potential replacements. Let's see, the Quantaray lens is $530 and the Canon is $1229. That's a total of $1759, a lot of money.

If I had to choose what lenses to get for you, and presuming you're on a budget of under $1000...
I'd get this one to replace your standard 18-55mm lens:
Tamron SP AF17-50MM F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical Lens.

Why? For the low light capability and wide aperture. It'll do much better than your current standard lens in that regard.

If you want the 70-200 f/4 IS USM, then I think that's a much better lens than the 55-200 (which I would get rid of and sell) and you should get it if you can afford it.

The only reason to get the Quantaray lens would be if you need a 1 lens solution, where you can only carry one lens and need to cover a lot of focal lengths. Otherwise, it's not as good a choice as getting lenses with more narrow focal lengths and wider apertures.

Lens selection can be tough--you should always evaluate your needs and decide which lenses will accomplish what you want.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment