Sunday, November 17, 2013

Good camera for beginners looking to start photography under 700?

best canon lens product photography on Pro Photo Supply - Dental Photography Equipment Kits Made for Dentists
best canon lens product photography image



Nicole


I'm intrested in starting photography, and I want to know what you think the best camera would be for a 15 year old, I'll manily be taking pictures of landscapes, and my pets. I would like to only spend around 650, but I'll go to 700. I want one that's easy to use, but has a good picture quality.
Also any tips on which lenses to get/good storeage cards. Thanks!



Answer
Get one of the entry-level DSLRs from Canon or Nikon, like the T3 or the D3100. Don't believe anyone that says Nikon is absolutely better than Canon, or vice versa- they're both great brands with a quality product and similar feature sets. Do some research and look at reviews to see what's right for you.

Both Canon and Nikon have a "nifty fifty" lens- a 50mm f/1.8 lens- the wide aperture gives a really shallow depth-of-field --> blurry backgrounds, nice for pictures of pets or people. Both cost around $125- really cheap for a lens, and it's not half bad.

Whatever camera you get, make sure that you learn how to use it. Aperture, ISO, shutter speed - knowing how to use the camera makes so much of a difference in the quality of your pictures. I had a friend who had an XSi and was getting terrible pictures- turns out she didn't know anything other than point it and shoot. It's not hard to use, you just have to know the basics first.

I want to buy a quality digital camera, what do you think is a great basic for photography?




Emma R


I have been doing photography for awhile now, and just recently started a course, I dont want a professional camera, just a decent one. Could you tell me what camera you think is a great basic?


Answer
Hey Emma, you might find this post I made yesterday useful.
Of course it all depends on how much you are willing to spend on a camera, but here are a good few to get started on. These are all entry level to intermediate level SLR cameras.

You'll have to convert the names and prices to US though if you're there! the 450D is called the XSi in the US i think. Don't get the XS (1000D, uugggh, terrible)

Post below:....

Also don't listen to people saying Canon/Nikon are better, they're all promoting their own equipment. They'll deny it but it's always true. Both systems are excellent with both having their advantages or disadvantages.
I shoot one system for my own personal work and one system with my 9-5 work. I'm not saying which one's which :)

Personally I would go for one of these four options:

Nikon D80 - £399.00
Nikon D90 - £569.98
Canon 40D - £549.99
Canon 450D - £379.99

The D90 and 40D are the two superior cameras. However you may prefer to get a D80/450D and invest the remaining money on some accessories such as a flash gun or a lens or two.

If you are going to continue with photography, it's good to start your lens collection now as they will last you a lot longer than your camera body which you will probably be looking at replacing/upgrading every 2/3 years. Save up and invest in good glass! BE warned though a good lens can cost a LOT :)

Here are links for all four, have a browse through and make your opinions THEN go try them out and hold them in a shop to see how they feel in your hand and which one you seem to have more of a connection to. That's my advice :)

LINKS:

NIKON D80 - http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imagin...
NIKON D90 - http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imagin...
CANON 450D - http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_...
CANON 40D - http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_...

There's a nice table half way down the page showcasing the differences between the two Nikons on the D90 DPreview website here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90...

The 40D is the largest of all of these cameras (similar size to the Nikon D300, but obviously not as good)
Here's the Canon 50D (practically the same size as the Canon D40) side by side with the Nikon D90 to illustrate this.
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD...

Personally I'm not going to tell you which one I would choose as it's my own preference and my own style of shooting, which may be completely different from yours!

......Edit: Ok I'll tell you. I shoot a lot of sports so I'd personally get the Canon 40D for its 6.5fps, mag alloy body and larger size but then remember that because that's my style and fast action is what I shoot!, You'll probably be completely different :)

In a nutshell all those cameras will serve you well throughout your entire course! Have fun trying them out in the shop!!.. and don't buy a Canon 1000D or Nikon D40/D40x (shudder).

Hope I've helped :)

Rick




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment