Sunday, August 4, 2013

Is it better to buy a used or a refurbished camera lens?

best camera lens nikon on nikon camera related images,251 to 300 - Zuoda Images
best camera lens nikon image



Matt


I'm buying a new camera lens in a few day, and its cheaper to buy used or refurbished than it is to buy a new lens. I just don't know the difference between the two?


Answer
Here is my 2c of information. What it all comes down to is warranty protection and pricing.

Refurbished lenses should be as good as new, but they are refurbished because something wasn't right in the first place and the factory had to "repair/refurbish" it to make it like new. Yes, they can be a bit cheaper in price, but the warranty attached to it is far less than a new lens.

I use (USA) Nikon & Tamron lenses on my D90. Nikon has a 1 yr warranty with an additional 4 free years to the original purchaser only. Tamron has a 7 year warranty to the original purchaser. Both of them have 90 day factory warranties on refurbished lenses, so far as I know. I won't save a few $$$ to cheat myself out of 5-7 years of warranty protection. I am spending the little extra money as an "insurance policy" in case something does go wrong.

Used lenses have NO warranty. As for both Nikon and Tamron, once you buy a used lens, you, the 2nd (or later) purchaser, have NO warranty with the manufacturer. It is non-transferable. It breaks-you pay full repair costs. Now, to be fair, I have purchased used lenses from private parties. I also paid far less than brand-new prices for them, but it is (and always will be) a gamble which I knowingly take. So far, so good-no issues with my used lenses.

Depending on your camera purchase, buy the best body you NEED and invest in the best LENSES you can afford. The lenses will outlast the body overall, as technology and innovation will force the camera makers to produce better cameras that will still use the lenses you have today. I am using Nikon lenses (manual, not digital lenses) that were made in the 1970's with terrific results and I got them used for very little money.

There you go... good luck!

what is the best/cheapest point and shoot camera with lens adapter?




Andy


I want to buy an affordable point and shoot camera. Ideally, I want a normal P&S camera for casual/normal days..but the option to attache a conversion lens adapter to it to get more depth of field. Also, I"m looking for something with HD video capability. Please let me know the brand and model of the camera, and the camera lens too (is this even possible?). I want a canon or nikon. any advice is appreciated! thanks!


Answer
Canon G12. Canon makes very good tele-convertors to go along with it. It has both HD video and still capabilities. There is a newer model -- with a slightly different name -- but Canon raised the price by about $400. BTW, depth of field comes from stopping down the lens, not the lens itself.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment