Monday, June 23, 2014

what is the best canon dslr lens for portraits?




Sta7





Answer
No idea about specific models of canon lenses, but as for focal lengths...

I'm on a Sony with a 1.5 crop and use the Sony 50mm f1.4 (equiv. 75mm) and Tamron 90mm f2.8 (equiv. 135mm) primes.

If I had to choose, I think that the 50mm is a more versatile lens for everyday shooting as well as portraits. Both primes are sharp, but the f1.4 is more useful.

I'd say get yourself an expensive zoom that covers the 50-100mm range or go for a fast 50mm prime.

Canon - EF 35mm f/2 Wide-Angle Lens vs 50mm f/1.8 lens?




Anonymous


I just bought my first "real" dSLR (m previous was considered an 'inbetweener' -- not quite a dSLR, but too advanced to be a point and shoot. It was a Canon Powershot SX30 IS) and got the kit lens that came with it, which is an 18-55mm f/3.5 lens. I really wanted to buy the 50mm f/1.8 lens for everyday use, and a wide angle lens for creative/fun shots. I don't really know the differences between these two lenses (the 35mm f/2 wide angle and the 50mm f/1.8) so could someone please list the differences and similarities? I'm debating on buying both lenses or just one, since I'm really new to the whole lens situation. Thanks in advance for any help!<3
The camera that I currently use is the Canon EOS Rebel T3i / Canon EOS 600D.
I'm 15 and I want to buy one for myself, and since I'm turning 16 in a few months, my parents want to buy me another for my birthday, so I'm wondering if I should spend my own money on a lens or if they're similar enough that it wouldn't be worth it? I have enough money saved up, but I just want to make sure that they aren't twin lenses if that makes sense. :}
to fhotoace -- i don't use the powershot anymore, that was my old one. I'm now using the Canon Rebel T3i, which is an entry level dSLR. The people at best buy said the 35mm that i'm talking about is a wide angle lens, but they didn't seem to have any more information on it.



Answer
The 35mm lens has been long considered to be the beginning of the wide angle region. In the 35mm SLR days it was definitely considered a wide angle lens. This distinction is still valid today, regardless of whether or not it is used on a cropped camera or not. The reason for this is the lens still retains it's characteristic perspective distortion whether or not it is used on a cropped camera or not.

Way too much emphasis has been put on crop factors, almost to the point that it has become the new myth. Thing is, a 35mm lens is a 35mm lens, and if you use it on a cropped camera - if you use any lens on a cropped camera, you just have to remember you have to backup to get an equivalent photo.

Still, 35mm lenses are often preferred by cropped camera users as they approximate what they would get with a 50mm lens on a full frame camera or SLR, regardless of the 35mm characteristic perspective distortion.

But if you already own a 50mm lens, there is no need to buy a 35mm lens. They are close enough together that you don't need both.

I still prefer the 50mm lens. I bought a 35mm lens for my camera, and sold it as I still liked the 50mm lens better. True, you have to backup a bit, but that is not an issue for me most of the time.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment