Friday, October 11, 2013

What is the best camera lens when shooting a wedding that will be in a church and at the reception?

best camera lens wedding photography on beautiful sunlit day, and youll get wonderful snapshots with a ...
best camera lens wedding photography image



Alana W


I have been asked to take the photographs at my friends wedding. Which lenses are usually used? I have a canon digital rebel xt. I already have an 18-55 lens and a telephoto lens. The wedding will be at a church, and the reception will be at a hotel hall. Which ones will be suitable for shooting the wedding and reception?


Answer
If you can get your hands on one, buy, borrow or rent a Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 ($1050 retail). On a budget, get a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 ($450). These lenses provide much better image quality than the 18-55 kit lens, they are considerably faster than the 18-55 kit lens, and they are made to be used at f/2.8 (unlike the kit lens, which needs to be stopped down to around f/8 for best image quality). You'll use this zoom range for 80+ percent of you shots.

If you can't afford these, consider a Canon 50mm f/1.8 for the church ceremony. Used copies cost peanuts and they're under $100 retail. This is NOT the right lens for the job, but it WILL let you do available light photography.

Use your current tele lens for some candids. Or if money is no object, upgrade to a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8.

If you don't already have an external flash, strongly consider one and learn how to use it for fill-flash. The flash of choice is the Canon 580EX ($380). You probably won't be allowed to use it inside the church, but it will be very useful for the formals and at the reception.

Also stock up on memory cards and get an extra battery. Carry spare batteries for your flash as well.

where and how to start as a wedding photographer?




Monica M


So here is the deal, I consider myself as an intermediate photographer. I'm a graphic designer and learnt photography in college (2 courses of ph) . Since then (2007) I got a Nikon D40 which I still own. For bad financial decisions I just haven't been able since then to upgrade my camera. I know it's not about "cameras" but "photographers" what matters and i try repeating that to myself everytime i see so many limitations on my gear but honestly it starts getting annoying because the focusing is not so good so it makes me lose many shots and as my primary business is baby photography is not very easy to keep on manual focusing . Also I shot my bro's wedding and it gave me lots of troubles in poor light conditions (horrible noise at high iso, and other troubles even with a 50mm f1.8 lens)

SO, the thing is I've been trying to get into the business of wedding photography, i feel i can do it but i just can't seem to get any customers! many people ask me prices, my ranges are between $250-700 which i think is ok for my market (i already did some research of similar photographers' prices).

However, what i was wondering is that everybody started somewhere. I started by calling out "casting" baby models on my fb fanpage and that is how i started with children photography and people know me for that. the thing is i like weddings also and i think they can give me better profits than children ph. I wonder how other wedding photographers started out... i mean it's like a vicious circle: no one hires you because you don't have enough portfolio on weddings, you don't have a big protfolio because no one hires you!! So, how did others started?? I would really appreciate helpful answers specially from actual wedding photographers... did you do one or 2 for free to start a good portfolio?? I have so many ideas and things, but i think my social circle is not so good, i don't have many contacts.. i've seen others in my city doing that some are good, some aren't, but even them get customers... because they have a wide portfolio to show!

I need to know if it is a good marketing strategy to do some contest on my fb fanpage to get a wedding photoshoot or if it is not.. or how on earth to start, to get some nice couple to trust me and let me do their wedding?? I'm trying my best, but everyday i notice photography is an expensive profession, you need gear, you need lots of props, stages, backgrounds... i have bought some through the years but i feel it is not enough... anyway, sorry for adding to much to it.. i think i'm going through some dissapointment moment... hope you guys can help with some advices.. you can check out my webpage at www.moma-studio.com

thanks
thanks for the answers but what i need to know is in fact how some wedding photographers started.. did they shoot 1 or 2 weddings for free first? i'm not a total newbie on this, what i need is to get more for my portfolio.. please guys check these pictures i've taken and judge.. are they just ok or they are in the road to make me become a pro on this? thanks. http://www.momastudiofotografia.com/#!bodas-y-eventos/c117c



Answer
You have some major issues to over come. You stated " i see so many limitations on my gear but honestly it starts getting annoying because the focusing is not so good so it makes me lose many shots". If you are having problems with your gear, and you are not upgrading it, then you are not ready to be a wedding photographer!

Wedding photography in not to be trifled with, either you are serious about it, and are willing to put in the time to learn, and finances for good equipment or you are not. There is not in-between. You are capturing precious moments in a couple's life that cannot be re-created. There are no second chances to get the right.

You will need the proper equipment and backup equipment just in case a camera, lens or flash fails. You need to have insurance and contracts stating exactly what service you are offering. You need to be able to produce professional results quickly with each click of the camera. You have to know your gear inside out, and know how to get the best possible shots in whatever lighting that may present itself.

Take Perki88's advice and be a second shooter with a seasoned pro for a year or two before trying to go on your own. You will learn how to compose good shots, what to shoot, what the minimum equipment needed is, including cameras, lenses, flashes, remotes, etc. You will learn how to shoot under many different lighting conditions and how to properly edit the photographs to make them their very best. Weddings can be very fast paced, extremely demanding on the photographer. It is not something you want to do without prior knowledge and experience.

Looking at your current wedding images, many of them are soft and have a lot of noise, some are the best images, like http://static.wix.com/media/cd9b4d_b92b41c8ab9244a125fb969af392f1a9.jpg_srz_578_885_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz where the groom's face is totally blocked by the brides bouquet.

The noise is this one http://static.wix.com/media/cd9b4d_214487e56e56847af024611206b17c06.jpg_srz_1239_885_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz just ruins the photograph. This one is really bad: http://static.wix.com/media/cd9b4d_5f888edc54c199c4a9ec75e087ccd797.jpg_srz_132

No comments:

Post a Comment